How would you say this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eiasu

Cook
Hallo,
i am searching for the right expression in common English for this:
marinade the paneer in garam masala
paneer is indian cheese in cubes and garam masala is a spice mix,
i am not very good in english but i guess the term ´marinade´refers to let some food rest in liquid, and in the case of the paneer what we want is that this cheese cubes rest in the spice mix and absorb the taste.
How would you say this?
I can put here all the recipe with foto:
[FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]Palak paneer[/FONT]
[FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]very good with fresh spinach[/FONT]

• [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]525 g paneer; 1 cm cubes
    (recipe page 53)
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]3 big onions, chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]10 cloves of garlic, chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]1[FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]½[/FONT] kg fresh spinach
    or 800 g frozen spinach
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]3 cm ginger, chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]4 chillies, finely chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]7 tbsp garam masala
    (Indian spice mix)
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]600 g basmati rice (recipe page 52)[/FONT]

Marinade the paneer in garam masala.
Fry the paneer with oil in a pan until little brown and start adding the mixed spices.
Keep on frying until good brown and put it aside.
Wash the spinach, cut the stems in small pieces and the leaves in half or quarters. Fry onions, garlic and ginger until golden.
Add spinach, chilli, rest of the mixed spices and salt and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the paneer and let it cook all together while mixing well.
Serve with basmati rice.

Thank you a lot
ciao
eiasu

Attachments

• palak_paneer_480.jpg
    palak_paneer_480.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 206
You did a good job translating.

The marinade is the spice mix. When you combine the marinade with the paneer so the flavors can go into the paneer, you are marinating. You use marinades to marinate foods.

That's the English lesson.

Garam Masala is technically not a marinade. Marinades must contain a liquid as well as the spices.

You did a good job translating.

The marinade is the spice mix. When you combine the marinade with the paneer so the flavors can go into the paneer, you are marinating. You use marinades to marinate foods.

That's the English lesson.

Garam Masala is technically not a marinade. Marinades must contain a liquid as well as the spices.
Hallo Andy,
thank for your kind answer,
so i can leave the expression as it is
"marinade the paneer in garam masala"
even if there are no liquids involved.
thany you again
ciao
eiasu

I think the way you already said it will work perfectly. As Andy said, technically to be a marinade there would be liquid (an acidic liquid), but for the sake of getting your point across to your readers everyone will understand what to do with the paneer and garam masala if you say to marinate.

I think the way you already said it will work perfectly. As Andy said, technically to be a marinade there would be liquid (an acidic liquid), but for the sake of getting your point across to your readers everyone will understand what to do with the paneer and garam masala if you say to marinate.
Great!
Thank you GB!
ciao
eiasu

Maybe you could say:

Coat the paneer with garam masala and allow to rest.

I am confused about

"start adding the mixed spices." Do you mean to say that you shouldn't use all of the garam masala on the paneer initially? Or did you forget some ingredients?

Maybe you meant to say, sprinkle the paneer with (some amount) of garam masala. As you brown the paneer, continue to add garam masala.

I think Andy was trying to say that you should say "marinate," which is a verb, instead of "marinade," which is a noun. :)

If you want a different way to say this, how about something like:
Place the garam masala in a small bowl. Add paneer, toss to coat, and let stand for X minutes/hours.

That´s really great,
a lot of support, thank you.
Today i was just cooking this recipe and i also was confused about the amount of garam masala;
it is meant to be used half for marinating (or coating) and the other half afterwards cooking spinach.this i have to specify in the recipe.
So this i have to remember,
marinade
to marinate
;)
I will use the expression from apple*, sounds really good!

Thank you all,
ciao
eiasu

Now the recipe looks like this:

Place half of the garam masala in a small bowl. Add paneer, toss to coat, and let stand for at least 39 minutes.
Fry the paneer with oil in a pan until little brown and start adding one quarter of the garam masala.
Keep on frying until good brown and put it aside.
Wash the spinach, cut the stems in small pieces and the leaves in half or quarters. Fry onions, garlic and ginger until golden.
Add spinach, chilli, the rest of the garam masala and salt and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the paneer and let it cook all together while mixing well.
Serve with basmati rice.

I agree with wyogal that 39 minutes is an awkward time ... I'd either go for 35 or 40, since you said, "at least", the latter. Don't ask me why 39 seems off, but I think 40 would read more easily. I loved reading this line; one of the reason I like this site so much is trying to help people from different cultural backgrounds work out recipes.

I agree with wyogal that 39 minutes is an awkward time ... I'd either go for 35 or 40, since you said, "at least", the latter. Don't ask me why 39 seems off, but I think 40 would read more easily. I loved reading this line; one of the reason I like this site so much is trying to help people from different cultural backgrounds work out recipes.

Hallo,
i agree with you but i cannot find this 39 minutes,
i dont know,
what i see it :
Add spinach, chilli, rest of the mixed spices and salt and cook for about 3 minutes.

3 minutes not 39, where is 39? i cannot see it!
:ROFLMAO:

Now the recipe looks like this:

Place half of the garam masala in a small bowl. Add paneer, toss to coat, and let stand for at least 39 minutes.

Hallo,
i agree with you but i cannot find this 39 minutes,
i dont know,
what i see it :

3 minutes not 39, where is 39? i cannot see it!
:ROFLMAO:
Here it is.

Back
Top Bottom