"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #11
Head Chef

I agree with Alix about adding sugar. However...I've never tried brown sugar..only white! I'll try it next time. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2005, 03:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Just add some brown sugar to your sauce. Try adding the cream after you take the tomato sauce off the heat.
That would work.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedc5
Hello Everyone,
I am not new to cooking and have been cooking for a few years and I really like pasta and sauces however I can never get this right. I go to Macaroni Grill often and I really like their tomato cream sauce. I asked the resturant how they make it and it's just tomato sauce and cream. They cook it just right and I can't get to come out right. I have tried everything from bringing the tomato sauce to a boil then adding cream and simmering for 10 min, I have tried just sauteing the pasta in a skillet and pour in tomato sauce and cream and cook until heated. For some reason it will taste sour and all kinds of weird stuff. I am using tomato puree and heavy cream so maybe a different type of sauce is needed. I need is a step by step instuction and techniques for making a tomato cream sauce. I need to know exactly what kind of sauce, cream and techniques that are required for making great tasting tomato cream sauce. I don't know how Macaroni Grill does it but it always tastes good. Thanks for anyone who helps. Joe
Can you please post step-by-step instructions as to what you do when making your sauce? It would help immensly instead of just suggesting an alternative recipe because we could help improve your technique as well.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #14
Head Chef

This is a basic tomato sauce that I enjoy making. I got the recipe from Michael Chiarello from Easy Entertaining. You could try adding a little cream at the very end and warm through before serving.

I find as far as technique in making tomato sauce I like taking whole canned tomatoes and then crushing them by hand. Also don't let your garlic burn because it will become very bitter.

1 can (28oz.) whole tomatoes
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/2 cup finly chopped onion
1 T. minced garlic
1 bay leaf
Sea Salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon finly chopped fresh oregano

Open the can of tomatoes and pour the juice into a bowl. Use the lid to press against the tomatoes to extract as much juice as possible. Put the tomatoes in a separate bowl, then use your hand to squeeze the tomatoes to a pulp. Reserve the juice and pulp separately. Fill the empty can half full with water and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan over moderately high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden. Add the tomato juice and bring to a boil. Simmer rapidly until the juice thickens, then add the crushed tomato pulp, the half can of water, the bay, and salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until the mixture thickens and reduces to about 3 1/2 cups, 30 to 45 minutes, adding the oregano halfway through. Discard the bay leaf
Old 09-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Can you please post step-by-step instructions as to what you do when making your sauce? It would help immensly instead of just suggesting an alternative recipe because we could help improve your technique as well.

I am looking to make the exact sauce the chefs make at Macaroni Grill which is the tomato cream. I know they just put in tomato sauce and cream. The waitress asked the chef what he put in it. They won't tell you the mixing ratio nor the technique they use when making and adding the sauce to the pasta.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:54 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Floridagirl Send a message via MSN to Floridagirl
When I make a tomato sauce this is my favorite recipe, it is from a friend who lives next to Venice / Italy.

500g / about a pound fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes
1 onion, diced
1-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 stalk cellery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 tbsp tomato puree
Olive Oil
about 1 cup redwine
fresh rosemary and basil
1 bay leaf
salt, fresh ground black pepper, sugar

Heat the oil, add the onion, celery, and carrots , let steam for a short while.
Add the tomato purree and the garlic and take the pot of the heat. Tomato puree and garlic tend to get bitter if it gets to hot.
Add the red wine and put the pot back on the heat.
Now add the tomatoes and the rosemary spray and season with salt and pepper.
Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 2-3 hours! Stir once in a while.
The longer the sauce is simmering, the better it gets.
Remove the rosemary and season to taste with salt, pepper, sugar and if you like with a pinch cinnamon. If you like you can add cream.
Add the fresh basil and serve.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagirl
If you like you can add cream.
Have you tried it with qwark? I have blended in a drop of robiola or similar fresh cheese to the sugo at the end of the cooking (then just heat it up, not to boil), it produced a wonderfully creamy effect!! I am sure qwark does the trick just as well!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Floridagirl Send a message via MSN to Floridagirl
no I never tried quark in a tomato sauce. Usually I like my tomato sauce plain. I think quark is not that suitable for the sauce. I tried cream cheese, heavy cream, creme fraiche or different kinds grated cheese.
I can imagine the robiola in your sugo tasted great! :-)
Old 09-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I've never made a tomato sauce with cream but I make a tomato soup with cream. I use equal parts tomato sauce (not puree) and heavy cream. It never tastes sour. I would imagine for your sauce you would use less cream.

I've never had the recipe but let me ask you this (hope it makes sense) - is it a cream sauce with a little tomato in it, similar to an alfredo? Or is it a tomato sauce with a bit of cream in it like a Vodka sauce?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:11 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
Yuck ....I can't stand to see a perfectly good tomato sauce ruined by adding cream. However here we go. Make your tomato sauce with all the spices and meat(optional). DO NOT BOIL simmer for 1 hour partialy covered...add a bit of water if it gets to thick......add enough half and half to just lighten your sauce a little and simmer for 10 minutes. DO NOT BOIL...DO NOT BOIL.....then serve with your pasta.
I am going to have to disagree with a couple of things...sorry...

As I have made tomato sauce full quite a while and in large amounts, well larger the an average home would make. It only took about 20 mins, and did bring it to a boil. But not for long, when you see the "pink foam" on the sides, it is ready. This "pink foam" is the fat from the tomato. Very simple, very tasty.

garlic
onion
tomato
tomato paste
basil
It. parsely
crushed red pepper
s&p

Cook: Well then, I will have to become perfect.
ch3f is offline   Reply With Quote