"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question I can never get this right. Please Help

Hello Everyone,
I am not new to cooking and have been cooking for a few years and I really like pasta and sauces however I can never get this right. I go to Macaroni Grill often and I really like their tomato cream sauce. I asked the resturant how they make it and it's just tomato sauce and cream. They cook it just right and I can't get to come out right. I have tried everything from bringing the tomato sauce to a boil then adding cream and simmering for 10 min, I have tried just sauteing the pasta in a skillet and pour in tomato sauce and cream and cook until heated. For some reason it will taste sour and all kinds of weird stuff. I am using tomato puree and heavy cream so maybe a different type of sauce is needed. I need is a step by step instuction and techniques for making a tomato cream sauce. I need to know exactly what kind of sauce, cream and techniques that are required for making great tasting tomato cream sauce. I don't know how Macaroni Grill does it but it always tastes good. Thanks for anyone who helps. Joe

Old 09-10-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Yuck ....I can't stand to see a perfectly good tomato sauce ruined by adding cream. However here we go. Make your tomato sauce with all the spices and meat(optional). DO NOT BOIL simmer for 1 hour partialy covered...add a bit of water if it gets to thick......add enough half and half to just lighten your sauce a little and simmer for 10 minutes. DO NOT BOIL...DO NOT BOIL.....then serve with your pasta.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Executive Chef

This is one that is posted on Cooks.com. Perhaps you can use it.

FRESH TOMATO CREAM SAUCE

1 can chopped tomatoes, or 8 plum tomatoes skinned and chopped w/ juice
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 minced onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of whipping cream
Fresh basil, torn
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a sauce pot over med heat and add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 min.

Add cream, reserving 2 tbsp. Let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes until slightly reduced. Add the last 2 tbsp of cream at the last minute. Sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve over fusili or linguine pasta.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Wow, you really need to simmer it for an hour? I am just using regular tomato puree out of a can and there are no spices etc that I added to it.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
This is one that is posted on Cooks.com. Perhaps you can use it.

FRESH TOMATO CREAM SAUCE

1 can chopped tomatoes, or 8 plum tomatoes skinned and chopped w/ juice
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 minced onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of whipping cream
Fresh basil, torn
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a sauce pot over med heat and add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 min.

Add cream, reserving 2 tbsp. Let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes until slightly reduced. Add the last 2 tbsp of cream at the last minute. Sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve over fusili or linguine pasta.

Hmm. That sounds like a good recipe. Thanks for adding it!
Old 09-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I don't know if these will help you, but I did a search and found these:

From recipestoday.com:

Fettuccine with Tomato Cream Sauce
Total time = 15 minutesThis flavorful, low fat dish works well as a main course or side dish to the main meal. Total preparation time is under half an hour, so it's perfect for quick dinners.

1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 cup minced onion
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 can (14 oz.) whole tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup heavy or whipping cream
1 package (9 oz.) fresh fettuccine noodles
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and red pepper flakes; cook until softened, about five minutes. Add tomatoes and salt; cook over high heat, crushing tomatoes with a spoon, until almost all liquid has evaporated, eight to 10 minutes. Stir in cream and bring to a boil; boil for one minute. Meanwhile, cook fettuccine according to package directions and drain. Toss fettuccine with sauce and basil in large serving bowl. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

and from Teri's Kitchen:

TOMATO CREAM SAUCE

MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS

This sauce is goes well with veal, pork, chicken, some seafood or pasta. If using with a sautéed meat, use the same pan, omit the oil if there is enough left from the meat, and make sure you scrape up all of the browned bits in the bottom. The wine you use depends on the entree.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (or canned, drained of juice)
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup dry red or white wine
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and stir. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper and turn to high heat. Sauté until the tomatoes break down. Add the wine and reduce slightly. Finally, add the cream and parsley. Cook another 2 minutes or so, until desired consistency. Gently crush the tomatoes with the back of a spoon to release additional juices. Serve immediately.

Barbara
Old 09-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedc5
Wow, you really need to simmer it for an hour? I am just using regular tomato puree out of a can and there are no spices etc that I added to it.
No way ...ya got to have some spices and herbs.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
No way ...ya got to have some spices and herbs.

Ah, What I do is cook mushrooms and onions and they I combine that to the sauce. Anyone know why my sauce comes out sour?? Is it the puree I buy? I tried a few. Maybe I need to use fresh canned tomatoes?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedc5
Ah, What I do is cook mushrooms and onions and they I combine that to the sauce. Anyone know why my sauce comes out sour?? Is it the puree I buy? I tried a few. Maybe I need to use fresh canned tomatoes?
Ok.....I use canned tomato sauce with canned dice tomatoes. I think you are boiling your cream sauce and using to much cream. Try just enough half and half to lighten your sauce.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
Everymom

Just add some brown sugar to your sauce. Try adding the cream after you take the tomato sauce off the heat.