I can never get this right. Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joedc5

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone,
I am not new to cooking and have been cooking for a few years and I really like pasta and sauces however I can never get this right. I go to Macaroni Grill often and I really like their tomato cream sauce. I asked the resturant how they make it and it's just tomato sauce and cream. They cook it just right and I can't get to come out right. I have tried everything from bringing the tomato sauce to a boil then adding cream and simmering for 10 min, I have tried just sauteing the pasta in a skillet and pour in tomato sauce and cream and cook until heated. For some reason it will taste sour and all kinds of weird stuff. I am using tomato puree and heavy cream so maybe a different type of sauce is needed. I need is a step by step instuction and techniques for making a tomato cream sauce. I need to know exactly what kind of sauce, cream and techniques that are required for making great tasting tomato cream sauce. I don't know how Macaroni Grill does it but it always tastes good. Thanks for anyone who helps. Joe

Yuck:ohmy: ....I can't stand to see a perfectly good tomato sauce ruined by adding cream. However here we go. Make your tomato sauce with all the spices and meat(optional). DO NOT BOIL:mad: simmer for 1 hour partialy covered...add a bit of water if it gets to thick......add enough half and half to just lighten your sauce a little and simmer for 10 minutes. DO NOT BOIL...DO NOT BOIL.....then serve with your pasta.

This is one that is posted on Cooks.com. Perhaps you can use it.

FRESH TOMATO CREAM SAUCE

1 can chopped tomatoes, or 8 plum tomatoes skinned and chopped w/ juice
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 minced onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of whipping cream
Fresh basil, torn
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a sauce pot over med heat and add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 min.

Add cream, reserving 2 tbsp. Let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes until slightly reduced. Add the last 2 tbsp of cream at the last minute. Sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve over fusili or linguine pasta.

Wow, you really need to simmer it for an hour? I am just using regular tomato puree out of a can and there are no spices etc that I added to it.

licia said:
This is one that is posted on Cooks.com. Perhaps you can use it.

FRESH TOMATO CREAM SAUCE

1 can chopped tomatoes, or 8 plum tomatoes skinned and chopped w/ juice
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 minced onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of whipping cream
Fresh basil, torn
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a sauce pot over med heat and add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 min.

Add cream, reserving 2 tbsp. Let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes until slightly reduced. Add the last 2 tbsp of cream at the last minute. Sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve over fusili or linguine pasta.

Hmm. That sounds like a good recipe. Thanks for adding it!

I don't know if these will help you, but I did a search and found these:

From recipestoday.com:

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=+2]Fettuccine with Tomato Cream Sauce[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]Total time = 15 minutes[/font][font=Arial,Helv,Helvetica,Swiss,Geneva][size=-1]This flavorful, low fat dish works well as a main course or side dish to the main meal. Total preparation time is under half an hour, so it's perfect for quick dinners.
[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helv,Helvetica,Swiss,Geneva]1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 cup minced onion
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 can (14 oz.) whole tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup heavy or whipping cream
1 package (9 oz.) fresh fettuccine noodles
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

[/font]
directions.gif
[font=Arial,Helv,Helvetica,Swiss,Geneva]Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and red pepper flakes; cook until softened, about five minutes. Add tomatoes and salt; cook over high heat, crushing tomatoes with a spoon, until almost all liquid has evaporated, eight to 10 minutes. Stir in cream and bring to a boil; boil for one minute. Meanwhile, cook fettuccine according to package directions and drain. Toss fettuccine with sauce and basil in large serving bowl. Serve with Parmesan cheese. [/font]

and from Teri's Kitchen:

[size=+1]TOMATO CREAM SAUCE[/size]

[size=-1]MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS

This sauce is goes well with veal, pork, chicken, some seafood or pasta. If using with a sautéed meat, use the same pan, omit the oil if there is enough left from the meat, and make sure you scrape up all of the browned bits in the bottom. The wine you use depends on the entree.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (or canned, drained of juice)
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup dry red or white wine
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and stir. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper and turn to high heat. Sauté until the tomatoes break down. Add the wine and reduce slightly. Finally, add the cream and parsley. Cook another 2 minutes or so, until desired consistency. Gently crush the tomatoes with the back of a spoon to release additional juices. Serve immediately.

:) Barbara
[/size]

joedc5 said:
Wow, you really need to simmer it for an hour? I am just using regular tomato puree out of a can and there are no spices etc that I added to it.

No way:chef: ...ya got to have some spices and herbs.

Bangbang said:
No way:chef: ...ya got to have some spices and herbs.

Ah, What I do is cook mushrooms and onions and they I combine that to the sauce. Anyone know why my sauce comes out sour?? Is it the puree I buy? I tried a few. Maybe I need to use fresh canned tomatoes?

joedc5 said:
Ah, What I do is cook mushrooms and onions and they I combine that to the sauce. Anyone know why my sauce comes out sour?? Is it the puree I buy? I tried a few. Maybe I need to use fresh canned tomatoes?

Ok.....I use canned tomato sauce with canned dice tomatoes. I think you are boiling your cream sauce and using to much cream. Try just enough half and half to lighten your sauce.

Just add some brown sugar to your sauce. Try adding the cream after you take the tomato sauce off the heat.

joedc5 said:
Hello Everyone,
I am not new to cooking and have been cooking for a few years and I really like pasta and sauces however I can never get this right. I go to Macaroni Grill often and I really like their tomato cream sauce. I asked the resturant how they make it and it's just tomato sauce and cream. They cook it just right and I can't get to come out right. I have tried everything from bringing the tomato sauce to a boil then adding cream and simmering for 10 min, I have tried just sauteing the pasta in a skillet and pour in tomato sauce and cream and cook until heated. For some reason it will taste sour and all kinds of weird stuff. I am using tomato puree and heavy cream so maybe a different type of sauce is needed. I need is a step by step instuction and techniques for making a tomato cream sauce. I need to know exactly what kind of sauce, cream and techniques that are required for making great tasting tomato cream sauce. I don't know how Macaroni Grill does it but it always tastes good. Thanks for anyone who helps. Joe

Can you please post step-by-step instructions as to what you do when making your sauce? It would help immensly instead of just suggesting an alternative recipe because we could help improve your technique as well.

This is a basic tomato sauce that I enjoy making. I got the recipe from Michael Chiarello from Easy Entertaining. You could try adding a little cream at the very end and warm through before serving.

I find as far as technique in making tomato sauce I like taking whole canned tomatoes and then crushing them by hand. Also don't let your garlic burn because it will become very bitter.

1 can (28oz.) whole tomatoes
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/2 cup finly chopped onion
1 T. minced garlic
1 bay leaf
Sea Salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon finly chopped fresh oregano

Open the can of tomatoes and pour the juice into a bowl. Use the lid to press against the tomatoes to extract as much juice as possible. Put the tomatoes in a separate bowl, then use your hand to squeeze the tomatoes to a pulp. Reserve the juice and pulp separately. Fill the empty can half full with water and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan over moderately high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden. Add the tomato juice and bring to a boil. Simmer rapidly until the juice thickens, then add the crushed tomato pulp, the half can of water, the bay, and salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until the mixture thickens and reduces to about 3 1/2 cups, 30 to 45 minutes, adding the oregano halfway through. Discard the bay leaf

ironchef said:
Can you please post step-by-step instructions as to what you do when making your sauce? It would help immensly instead of just suggesting an alternative recipe because we could help improve your technique as well.

I am looking to make the exact sauce the chefs make at Macaroni Grill which is the tomato cream. I know they just put in tomato sauce and cream. The waitress asked the chef what he put in it. They won't tell you the mixing ratio nor the technique they use when making and adding the sauce to the pasta.

When I make a tomato sauce this is my favorite recipe, it is from a friend who lives next to Venice / Italy.

500g / about a pound fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes
1 onion, diced
1-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 stalk cellery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 tbsp tomato puree
Olive Oil
about 1 cup redwine
fresh rosemary and basil
1 bay leaf
salt, fresh ground black pepper, sugar

Heat the oil, add the onion, celery, and carrots , let steam for a short while.
Add the tomato purree and the garlic and take the pot of the heat. Tomato puree and garlic tend to get bitter if it gets to hot.
Add the red wine and put the pot back on the heat.
Now add the tomatoes and the rosemary spray and season with salt and pepper.
Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 2-3 hours! Stir once in a while.
The longer the sauce is simmering, the better it gets.
Remove the rosemary and season to taste with salt, pepper, sugar and if you like with a pinch cinnamon. If you like you can add cream.
Add the fresh basil and serve.

Floridagirl said:
If you like you can add cream.

Have you tried it with qwark? I have blended in a drop of robiola or similar fresh cheese to the sugo at the end of the cooking (then just heat it up, not to boil), it produced a wonderfully creamy effect!! I am sure qwark does the trick just as well!

no I never tried quark in a tomato sauce. Usually I like my tomato sauce plain. I think quark is not that suitable for the sauce. I tried cream cheese, heavy cream, creme fraiche or different kinds grated cheese.
I can imagine the robiola in your sugo tasted great! :)

I've never made a tomato sauce with cream but I make a tomato soup with cream. I use equal parts tomato sauce (not puree) and heavy cream. It never tastes sour. I would imagine for your sauce you would use less cream.

I've never had the recipe but let me ask you this (hope it makes sense) - is it a cream sauce with a little tomato in it, similar to an alfredo? Or is it a tomato sauce with a bit of cream in it like a Vodka sauce?

Last edited:
Bangbang said:
Yuck:ohmy: ....I can't stand to see a perfectly good tomato sauce ruined by adding cream. However here we go. Make your tomato sauce with all the spices and meat(optional). DO NOT BOIL:mad: simmer for 1 hour partialy covered...add a bit of water if it gets to thick......add enough half and half to just lighten your sauce a little and simmer for 10 minutes. DO NOT BOIL...DO NOT BOIL.....then serve with your pasta.

I am going to have to disagree with a couple of things...sorry...

As I have made tomato sauce full quite a while and in large amounts, well larger the an average home would make. It only took about 20 mins, and did bring it to a boil. But not for long, when you see the "pink foam" on the sides, it is ready. This "pink foam" is the fat from the tomato. Very simple, very tasty.

garlic
onion
tomato
tomato paste
basil
It. parsely
crushed red pepper
s&p

Back
Top Bottom