"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 05-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #91
Master Chef
Husband and I were on the road in an RV full time for three years. Everyone knows 'zonies don't do daylight savings time, but Indiana was weird in that some of the towns we hit DID honor DST. So when we travelled through Indiana, we never knew what time it was! I have a BIL from Indiana and he didn't even KNOW that lots of Indiana doesn't do DST. Anyway, I gather they've recently passed a DST law and will join the rest of us. I'm terrible at math, so would love it if we'd go metric.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #92
Assistant Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to Karridog
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Imagine kilograms and grams. Liters and milliliters. How is the person supposed to know all of this and understand? Obviously Iím being sarcastic here.

Isnít it so much easier when in one single recipe you get a teaspoon and a tablespoon, a cup and the ounces, a pinch and Ö well whatever else?

I am ready to scream. I usually cook at home, just for the family so I know how much of what I need to put. But the other day I was cooking for about 200 or so people. I made sweet and sour chicken. O boy. Was I mad? 2-table spoon of this, half a cup of that, 3 teaspoons, well you get the picture. Are we ever going to switch to metric, the rest of the world did. What are we waiting for? Who can possibly deal with 4 or 5 different units of measure in the same recipe?
The US was to go Metric several years ago but the Americans refused. The various units and equivalents should be in any good cookbook. They can also be found on the Internet in various forms. Try searching Google.

Karridog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #93
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Just of the daylight saving.........

Years ago Queensland stopped using daylightsaving because it put the commercial chooks off laying & distressed other livestock. The then government went to great lengths to convince the general public that this was the case.

You have to hand it to Queenslanders, they're different.....
Taking off and flying are optional. Landing is mandatory
Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:46 PM   #94
Assistant Cook
As far as my experience goes, only the US and Canada still routinely use volume measures for dry ingredients. The professional end of the food biz do not measure indry volumes, it's all weight, either gm or oz. If you want to significantly increase a recipe you already have then it is far far easier to do if you have converted the dry volumes to weights. It is also far far far more accurate.

If you ever want to accurately recreate a recipe from Europe then you are going to have to buy a scale and use it religiously. After about a month of using the scale you will have an entirely different view of recipes. When I teach students to use mass they quickly begin to see the relationship between ingredients and how they work in a dish. You just cant do this when you think about tripling an 1/8 cup you just don't have the measure on any volume cup measure of .375 cups.

Frational math is far harder to get used to than multiplication
Georgeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:23 PM   #95
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

You'd go nutz in my kitchen . . .

How much is a "pinch" ??? How about a "handful" ???

I don't bake. Baking is chemistry, and I can do it. I can do it but I don't. If I want bread, I go to the bakery.

Herbs, spices, condiments all vary in intensity. You never see Emeril measure anything. But he tests/tastes and adjusts all the time.

You should know that a litre is a "big quart" -- You should know a pound of meat from how it fits in your pan, not what it weighs.

Tablespoon, teaspoon . . . gram, oz, etc. You should have a basic concept of the term.

Someone tells me the peloton (Tour de France) is doing 55 Kph . . . I know that's a fast pace.

Soyez international ! ! !

And toss out your measuring stuff ! ! !

REAL cooks don't measure.
Daphne duLibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #96
Master Chef
Daphne duLibre, Well, I have to say I agree with you, but it's okay in your own kitchen, but when you have to cook for 200 people and you are not a real chef, you better start measuring or you are screwed (what's the good word?) royally.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:39 AM   #97
Executive Chef
Metric will be adopted in the US when the US Gov't passes a law mandating that it will purchase products only from companies that use it. That will make it financially advantageous for companies to go that route which up to now, only soda and coffee packagers have taken for the general public: the 12oz "pound of coffee" is 1/3 of a kilogram so a 3 pound bag is 1 kilo...and the 2 liter bottle of soda etc. Adapting cook book recipes is quite simple and it doesn't require changing all you baking pans as was the big fear put on us in the 60s. Oh, look at your cup measure...some have both systems? and which one do you read when you hold the cup in your left hand as you pour liquid into it from your right hand as over 50% of us do??

So we're just waiting for the gov't to make the change. But they are afraid to "anger" the average American although we've been teaching this for over a generation. Get over it...save some money and standardize!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:04 AM   #98
Master Chef
The thing is, as i recently found out, just few days ago, that having metric system is a huge financial advantage for the US, and why it hasn't been adopted is a mistery not only to me, but to big financial moguls and financiers. So I was right without even thinking or knowing how trully right I was.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:51 AM   #99
Maybe I'm Crazy . . .

Maybe crazy, but I've made it this far . . . and don't see anyone in a white coat chasing me.

I don't follow recipes. Let me note here that I don't bake. Baking is complex chemistry and requires some recipe following.

But recipes for me are just a point of departure. I look at the basic dish, consider the main ingredient and the preparation process . . . Then I'm off on my own, incorporating ideas from a recipe into the standard preparation processes I know and use all the time.

Ingredients always vary in strength/intensity and so that needs adjustment.

Processes are pretty universal. I mean -- how many ways can you boil water? *G*

More and more I find myself in disagreement with a recipe approach. I don't add oil to pasta water (Emeril says "yes" Alton Brown says "never.") I never grate nutmeg on anything -- because I don't like it.

So, basic processes, standard preparation approaches, and the "recipe" is a guide. I don't measure stuff, but I taste and adjust all the time.
Daphne duLibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:14 AM   #100
Daphne, I think I agree with most of what you write. I am somewhat haphazard in the kitchen as well. I think though that can be misleading. It is only because of years of experience in there that one knows what "works" and what doesn't. A fledgling cook is always better off starting with a recipe and branching out from there. That way they can figure out for themselves that you can't substitute baking soda for baking powder!

I also agree that baking is much more a science than cooking. Good observation. Many of my disasters have resulted from me messing around with the chemistry of a baking recipe. LOL!!!

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote