I hate metric system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
If we knew both systems equally then I bet most people would stick with metric.

Nope! Not me! I actually do know both, but like I said, the brewing system is in Gallons, so that's what I work from...:ROFLMAO:

John

Please God don't switch to metric......where will I get recipes I can understand??

Don't you guys love me, don't you care?

DampCharcoal said:
I would only use the Metric System under threat of penalty of death. The "Avoirdupois" system we use has worked fine for a long time and I see no reason to change it, but that's just me!

Don't worry you are in the majority, so nobody is switching anything. In fact it is not even the metric system or rather lack of the above that bothers me. What bothers me that recipe I was using used 5 diffrent types of mesuring systems. Just think for a second

1. Table spoon
2. Tea spoon
3. A cup.
4. A pond
5. A pinch. :blink:

How can a normal person opperate under such conditions. If it were only cups or only ponds or only spoons or only, only only... If, if, if , ....

let's be honest it is hard and confusing. Insted of only one mesuring instrument - scale - now i need a cup, a scale, a table spoon, a table spoon and then how do you mesure a pinch, my pich and my wifes pinch not neraly, not even close are the same. admit the system is not easy at all.

Just convert them all to grams and it'll all be one.

No different than a recipe calling for a:

lliter
milligrams
grams

OMG, I am ROFLMAO. I use both quite interchangeably and they are no difficulty at all. I sympathize with not wanting to change, it is never easy to give up what one is used to.

For those of you with issues in this regard all you need to do is come to Canada and buy yourself a set of measuring cups, spoons, and dry measures. BOTH systems are recorded on each.

For example, a one cup measure would have on one side the Imperial measure of 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 and one cup. The other side would have measurement from 1 ml to 250 ml. How hard is that? So if your recipe is in metric, turn your cups to that side. Imperial, turn them around.

And Rainee, there are 4 cups in a litre or 1000ml. There is no such thing as 2/3 of a litre it would read 667mls or something like that.

I think it is pretty funny that in Canada we weigh ourselves in pounds (most often), gauge distance in kilometers, and cook with both metric and imperial.

So is trying to figure out 2/3 of a cup which is 8oz. The difference is that multiples of 10 are much easier and more logical.

No, because I don't have to think about it and multiply.

You wouldn't have to multiply in metric either, just read the recipe and pour the amount. Whats to multiply?

I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Most of the measuring gizmos I have around here show both metric and English (that's what they're called in the engineering biz) units.

And Rainee, there are 4 cups in a litre or 1000ml. There is no such thing as 2/3 of a litre it would read 667mls or something like that.

4 c looks a lot easier to write and remember than 1000ml.
I think it is pretty funny that in Canada we weigh ourselves in pounds (most often), gauge distance in kilometers, and cook with both metric and imperial.
Now that would get confusing.

Only recipes that I've ever seen using metric came from the Internet. Don't have any cookbooks that use it.

If I need a metric measurement, I use a chart.

You need to get cookbooks from Canada. We have both listed on most books printed here. They are wonderfully easy to order over the internet.

And thank God for the ease of the internet. Most places you go on here you can convert a recipe in minutes, either way.

Rainee said:
Only recipes that I've ever seen using metric came from the Internet. Don't have any cookbooks that use it.

If I need a metric measurement, I use a chart.
I have a number of great cookbooks that are in metric. Luckily they all have a conversion chart in the back :)

DampCharcoal said:
Are the cookbooks printed in both French and English, too? :-p

Only if you order them from Quebec you smart arse! The rest of Canada tolerates that dual language thing, but we don't ENFORCE it.

I'll get you one of these days my pretty!:rolleyes:

Well - I've HAD to get used to the metric system - still find it odd - and all my older cookbooks and recipes are in Imperial, the old avoirdupois system. BUT, you cannot buy anything in pounds and ounces any more (well you ask, and the young person behind the counter says 'Oh yes, I'll just have to look that up in metric'... but we now have to have everything shown in only metric measurements in shops, whereas until recently, it had both.

My family all grew up only using metric - I always said to them 'what's that in 'real' measurements? ' and 'I'm sorry, I don't do 'foreign' measurements'.. we have no choice nowadays!

What I have found is that I use imperial for older recipe books and metric for new. No confusion, I just follow the recipe. I don't have to do any complex mathematical calculations (just as well really, as I am hopless at maths).

I am sorry, but most of my recent postings on here have been in metric measurements. If I use Imperial you can take it that the recipe is old.... :mrgreen:

Ishbel, I never have trouble with the measurement portion of your recipes. It is just a teeny challenge to figure out some of the terms. I like a good challenge though!

Oh that ... American system

Trust me,

The metric system is easier. All scientists including American scientists know that. America has doggged its feet for decades trying to convert. America is still failing even its young students (not yet currupted by that US system) into understanding the metric system.

Please trust me. the meteric system is eassier and the US systems do not make sense.

Struggle to learn metrics. Utlimately you will be rewarded.

Back
Top Bottom