"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
Master Chef

Angry I hate metric system.

Imagine kilograms and grams. Liters and milliliters. How is the person supposed to know all of this and understand? Obviously Iím being sarcastic here.

Isnít it so much easier when in one single recipe you get a teaspoon and a tablespoon, a cup and the ounces, a pinch and Ö well whatever else?

I am ready to scream. I usually cook at home, just for the family so I know how much of what I need to put. But the other day I was cooking for about 200 or so people. I made sweet and sour chicken. O boy. Was I mad? 2-table spoon of this, half a cup of that, 3 teaspoons, well you get the picture. Are we ever going to switch to metric, the rest of the world did. What are we waiting for? Who can possibly deal with 4 or 5 different units of measure in the same recipe?

Old 03-24-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We were told in high school that very soon the US would switch to metric - but it might be a few years - it's been 32 years and we're not there yet and not even close. Either way is fine with me - but it would be nice to have universal recipes!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

The metric system makes so much more sense. I really wish we would have switched over. I do not know the metric system very well, but I think I would pick it up pretty quickly if we switched over.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #4

I tried, but I couldn't do it...... I was told we were switching over to metric also. Thank God we didn't.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Me too CC. We have been using with things like 2 liter cokes, 4 liter engines, etc. Still don't get it.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
Master Chef

What is there "to get", a liter is a liter. That is it. It is all you need to know. You take a mesuring thing and mesuare a liter. The thing that bothers me, that in one recipe there are table spoons, teaspoons, ponds, cups etc. I don't care if everything is in cups or pounds, but not all of them at the same time.

I once had an argument with a coworker about wrenches. I have no clue which one is biger or smaller. I would really have to stop and concentrated to know if 7/32 biger or smaller than 15/64 th or 3/16th, for example. So I said that it would be much easier if they were metric. Oh, no, she said, you still have to learn. Learn what, you already know how to count, 1, 2, 3, ..., that is all you need to know if you have a metric set, was my responce... Well we argued for a half an hour, she kept teling me about not knowing which wrench comes first ...
Old 03-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

And how much is in a liter? Or how much is 2/3 liter?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
Master Chef

Well, hm, let's see the liter is a liter. And nobody messures in 2/3rds. The whole metric system is build on the notion of everything being devided into 10th, 100ds, 1000ds. There is no need for such odd division as 2/3.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainee
And how much is in a liter?
It's like saying how much is a quart?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainee
And how much is in a liter? Or how much is 2/3 liter?
Oops, I'm sorry you said "In the liter" well, that is again a simple answer. There are 1000 milliliters in I liter, as well as there are 1000 grams in one kilogram, or 1000 millimeters in 1 meter. Thatís the beauty and the precision of the metric system