I need a term for that stuff in turkey drippings.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmErogork

Assistant Cook
I know it as congealed cooked blood but there has to be a more sophisticated term for it. Is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fond is French for "base" and commonly refers to the browned bits and caramelized drippings of meat and vegetables that are stuck to the bottom of a pan after sautéing or roasting.

https://www.popsugar.com/food/Cooking-Definition-Fond-7607518

This is fond:

986308D3-EDE0-4991-B7BB-BA1201CC0CFF.jpeg

Last edited:
I know it as congealed cooked blood but there has to be a more sophisticated term for it. Is there?

The best term I could find on google was “Blood curd”.

I also call it congealed blood. Not very appealing to the eye. I try to strain or scim it out.

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to but there is no blood in turkey or other meats dressed for retail sale. There are different types of proteins in muscle meats that denature differently. I only separate fat from the drippings.

This is the best example I can find of what I am talking about. I didn't strain these out very well (pain day).

"Clots/Curds" in the gravy

pork_chop_082411_P1080907.JPG

This is the best example I can find of what I am talking about. I didn't strain these out very well (pain day).

"Clots/Curds" in the gravy

View attachment 30073
Like I said, it's denatured protein. If you don't like the look of them, fine, but it's not blood and it's not harmful. I just break them up with the whisk when I make the gravy. Sometimes I even take a piece of bread and run it through the drippings, picking up stuff like this, and eat it :yum:

Like I said, it's denatured protein. If you don't like the look of them, fine, but it's not blood and it's not harmful. I just break them up with the whisk when I make the gravy. Sometimes I even take a piece of bread and run it through the drippings, picking up stuff like this, and eat it :yum:
I also break it up or strain it out if there is a lot. When I want to thicken the gravy just a little bit I leave it and mash it up into the gravy.

Those congealed proteins pack a lot of flavor. If they make you squeamish, simply pour the drippings into a blender and the proteins will thicken and help flavor your gravy/sauce, whether you thicken with a roux, or with a cornstarch. Don't throw it away. Incorporate it smoothly into your gravy, sauce/soups.:yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Those congealed proteins pack a lot of flavor. If they make you squeamish, simply pour the drippings into a blender and the proteins will thicken and help flavor your gravy/sauce, whether you thicken with a roux, or with a cornstarch. Don't throw it away. Incorporate it smoothly into your gravy, sauce/soups.:yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That's my feeling as well. Great to see you, Chief! I hope all is well with you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom