"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior Cook

You're very welcome. :)
Good luck with the cookbook.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
eiasu

Oregano isn't spicy. It's very pungent. It's used mostly in Mediterranean and Mexican cusine. I have never heard of it being used in Chinese food.

At any rate, that's a whole lot of oregano.
Hallo Jenny,
i asked again to the creator of that dish and it is exactely that amount,
yes the result is quite an intense taste, but all togheter it is not pungent at all,
of course depends very much on the individual preferences.
The dishes of the Buddhahill cooking book are all re-invented,
all the indian, chinese, italian dishes are created anew,
so if it is the first time that you hear about oregano in a chinese dish,
and if you are interested and curious to try it yoou can experiment cooking that and share the result ok?
ciao
thank you
eiasu

Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Cook

another substitution,
instead of:
cook until the spinach is soft with a little bite
how could i write?
I dont like very much this sentence
thank you
eiasu
Old 10-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
Head Chef

cook until wilted
(was the oregano fresh or dried?)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

I understood your recipe perfectly as originally written - it looks great & I'll definitely be trying it.

As far as oregano, the pungency/spiciness of it depends on many factors, as there are SO many different varieties. Some are so mild they almost taste like lawn grass; others have quite a bite. Unfortunately, back when herbs & herb gardening took off like a rocket, many unscrupulous growers just started growing usually tasteless "mutt" oreganos willy-nilly just to meet demand. If you're ever looking to grow your own, make sure you buy a named variety (whether from seed or plants) - not just something tagged "oregano". If that's all that's available, then pinch off a leaf to smell & taste before buying.

In addition, dried oregano will always be stronger than fresh, so take care when subbing one for the other.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I understood your recipe perfectly as originally written - it looks great & I'll definitely be trying it.

As far as oregano, the pungency/spiciness of it depends on many factors, as there are SO many different varieties. Some are so mild they almost taste like lawn grass; others have quite a bite. Unfortunately, back when herbs & herb gardening took off like a rocket, many unscrupulous growers just started growing usually tasteless "mutt" oreganos willy-nilly just to meet demand. If you're ever looking to grow your own, make sure you buy a named variety (whether from seed or plants) - not just something tagged "oregano". If that's all that's available, then pinch off a leaf to smell & taste before buying.

In addition, dried oregano will always be stronger than fresh, so take care when subbing one for the other.
The way we use oregano here is like basil, mint or parsley; itīs very common, it has a particular taste not so strong, pungent.
Thatīs both with the dry oregano that we buy and the fresh one that we grow ourself.
ciao
eiasu
p.s. let me know the result of your cooking!