Interesting ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm from Wisconsin, and I say everything pretty much like a Wisconsinite, according to the map.

The one exception is pecan, which I've always pronounced as pick-AHN.

One other weird Wisconsin anomaly: we're the only state I'm aware of that has no drinking fountains. Everyone there calls them "bubblers." (Many of the fountains at one time were made by Kohler, a Wisconsin company, which branded them as bubblers. The name stuck.)

Pretty much like on the map here, too.

In high school, we used to "go get a coke", which really meant hanging out with friends - for years now I've called it soda when I have to name it, but hardly ever do because I rarely ever drink it or buy it.

OKAY!
So, you folks will all notice that there are 2 States missing ...
Alaska and ...
HAWAII!
HA!:-p
We don't say ANYTHING like you folks do!!!

I can't tell you how many times since moving here to the "mainland" I've been asked:
Where are you from?
Hawai'i
Where?
Ha-why-e
OOOOH! I thought it was someplace exotic. You have a weird accent.
:huh:
;):rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO:

K-Girl, we ALL have accents when we live somewhere different from where we were raised. Except professional broadcasters. They all sound like they grew up along the southern edge of the Great Lakes. :LOL:

I say Puh-CAHN, which isn't a choice
Coleslaw
Used to be carmel, until I learned about the second "a" here on DC. :LOL: Now I say caramel
I say MAY-oh-naze, not an option there, either
Frosting-icing. Potato-potahto. Same thing to me, so they're interchangeable
Um, mudbugs? :D Why didn't they offer mudbugs? :huh:
sear-up
thankGIVing
pop Always "pop" "Soda" is carbonated water with no flavoring, as in club soda. If it's flavored, it's pop.

According to this map, I seem to have a number of pronunciations that are unique to me. :huh: I don't know if that's good or bad, but the people I talk to know what I'm saying. That's good enough for me. :LOL:

...we're the only state I'm aware of that has no drinking fountains. Everyone there calls them "bubblers."...
They call them bubblers in the Greater Bahstun area. If you ask for a water fountain, the natives look at you like you have two heads. That's OK, after 17 years living up here I still don't understand most of their unique terms. I may know them, but I don't understand them.

Without peeking at the list, are pralines on the list?

I always said pray-leens, although I learned much later they are prah-leens. ( I think)

Bostonians has a language all of their own. We don't use the R at the end of the sentence. Cellah us a prime example. Houses have cellahs, but in school, if you have to go to the bathroom, you go to the basement.

The one thing we have are rotaries. Or roundabouts as the English call them. It does take skill to get into or out of them.

Where are you from if you call it "soda pop"? ;) I've called it any of the suggested names at one time or another.

I grew up seeing crayfish in the lakes of Minnesota and Wisconsin, but if I see one now, I'm more likely to call it a "crawdad". This is in part because I lived in the Bahamas for 2½ years, and they call the spiny lobster a crayfish, so I switched names for clarity.

I never knew that "caramel" had a 3rd syllable until I started watching cooking shows in the last 20 years. I didn't even know that it had a second "a", and probably would have misspelled it if I'd had any reason to write it.

For the most part, my tendencies are toward the Minnesota pronunciations or usages for all of those in the article, but after living in the transitional region of Colorado since 1973, I've become homogenized, and will use slightly different forms depending on who I'm with.

Here we have our own controversy as to the proper name for our state. A true native or near native says "Call-o-rah-doh". Foreigners tend to make the third syllable a short nasal "a" like in the ward "at". It's properly pronounced like the expression of satisfaction, "ah" (like El Dorado or Mikado).

Back
Top Bottom