"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 07-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CyberSlag5k
I say it's a vegetable, though in thinking about it, I think the nominclature could use more thorough definition.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Chef Wil Send a message via Yahoo to Chef Wil
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlag5k
I say it's a vegetable, though in thinking about it, I think the nominclature could use more thorough definition.
Good choice, now I'm going to go fix a nice pot of Rock Stew and a tall Lumberjack Float for dessert

Old 07-11-2005, 04:55 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlag5k
Therein lies the debate. A fungus is not a plant, it does not come from the plant kingdom; it comes from the fungus kingdom. But I don't agree with the argument that "it's not a vegetable it's a fungus" because that's like saying "a bean isn't a vegetable it's a legume". They're two different classifications.

What it comes down to is, does a vegetable have to be a plant (I'd say it doesn't), and if it does, then what is a mushroom if not a vegetable?
Um.... when I was in school there were only 2 kingdoms (kingdom, phylum, class, order, genus, species, IIRC), plant and animal. Since it would be a stretch to call a mushroom an animal , it has to be a plant... and I think that any biologist would agree.

As to whether it's a vegetable, I'm not quite so certain of that. IMO, vegetable is purely a culinary term anyway. Most (not all... see carrot... ) of what we call vegetables are actually fruits to a biologist. And a mushroom definitely isn't a fruit.

I call it an ingredient (if it is mixed into a dish), or a side dish if it stands alone. All I know is that I eat a lot of them...
Old 07-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin
Um.... when I was in school there were only 2 kingdoms (kingdom, phylum, class, order, genus, species, IIRC), plant and animal....

RP:

How old are you, man!?!? Things have changed since you were in school:

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species

To date there are five kingdoms: Animalia, which is made up of animals; Plantae, which is made up of plants; Protista, which is made up of protists (single-celled creatures invisible to the human eye); Fungi, which is made up of mushrooms, mold, yeast, lichen, etc; and Monera, which is made up of the three types of bacteria.

I feel your pain . When I was in school, three wasn't a computer or digital calculator in sight! I carried a slide rule in college.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #15
Master Chef

Now, be nice to the kids Andy - they probably wouldn't know a "slip-stick" if one hit them on the head. Much less what to do with one! Long live Micronta - long live K&E!!!

Mushrooms are a fungi .... neither plant nor animal as you said - they are sometimes used as a vegetable, sometimes as a meat (grilled portobello caps on a bun, for one example) for their "meaty" texture. This is getting kind of pedantic - like is chicken really meat if it's not beef?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

I don't know what the technical answer is, but for me the practical answer is that it is a vegetable. When my daughter is older and decides to push the mushrooms aside I will not say "eat your fungus'. I will of course tell her to eat her veggies. Just as a tomato is not technically a veggie we still all refer to it as one.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #17
Master Chef

Don't feel bad, RPcookin, I learned the same thing you did. I guess we are fossils...LOL!

Thing is, vegetable is a grocery term, not a botanical one. So, as far as I'm concerned, shrooms are a vegie.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #18
DC Grandma

Does it really matter?? If you like them, then eat them. You could call it Ice Cream and I'd say "no thanks.."
Dove who eats almost anything..

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
...they probably wouldn't know a "slip-stick" if one hit them on the head. Much less what to do with one! Long live Micronta - long live K&E!!! ...

Michael:

I still have my K&E in the leather case. I used to be pretty good with it at one time but now, Excel and the electronic calculator have made it obsolete!
Old 07-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I'd go with: the fruiting body of a fugus