Is a mushroom a vegetable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It comes from the plant kingdom rather than the animal kingdom so go ahead and call it a vegetable, I do.

Botanically speaking, I don't know if that's accurate and, while I'm curious, the answer won't change my use of the term. Similar to a tomato - I call it a vegetable although it's botanically classified as a fruit.

Andy M. said:
It comes from the plant kingdom rather than the animal kingdom so go ahead and call it a vegetable, I do.

Therein lies the debate. A fungus is not a plant, it does not come from the plant kingdom; it comes from the fungus kingdom. But I don't agree with the argument that "it's not a vegetable it's a fungus" because that's like saying "a bean isn't a vegetable it's a legume". They're two different classifications.

What it comes down to is, does a vegetable have to be a plant (I'd say it doesn't), and if it does, then what is a mushroom if not a vegetable?

CyberSlag5k said:
Therein lies the debate. A fungus is not a plant, it does not come from the plant kingdom; it comes from the fungus kingdom. But I don't agree with the argument that "it's not a vegetable it's a fungus" because that's like saying "a bean isn't a vegetable it's a legume". They're two different classifications.

What it comes down to is, does a vegetable have to be a plant (I'd say it doesn't), and if it does, then what is a mushroom if not a vegetable?

While your arguement is not logical, your point is valid. What it boils down to is that, in the vernacular, it's called a vegetable. I could argue that of three major categories; animal, vegetable, mineral; it fits as a vegetable.

Besides, vegetarians eat them!:LOL:

Down here in Texas, when you order a BBQ plate, they offer all kinds of stuff as 'vegetables'.

Mac-n-cheese is one of 'em...

I guess it depends on who you ask... :D

nytxn said:
Down here in Texas, when you order a BBQ plate, they offer all kinds of stuff as 'vegetables'.

Mac-n-cheese is one of 'em...

I guess it depends on who you ask... :D

Heh, that's great.

So I think to unravle this particular quandry, we must first define what exactly a vegetable (and in contrast a fruit) is. I've always gone by: if it has seeds, it's a fruit. If it is a seed, it's a vegetable. Mushrooms, however, have spores. And then there's roots (e.g. carrots) to consider...

The Oxford English Dictionary has this to say:
Vegetable - A plant cultivated for food; esp. an edible herb or root used for human consumption and commonly eaten, either cooked or raw, with meat or other article of food.

Fruit -
The edible product of a plant or tree, consisting of the seed and its envelope, esp. the latter when it is of a juicy pulpy nature, as in the apple, orange, plum, etc.

Thus, a vegetable must be a plant? But why is that? What defines a plant is the presence of a cell wall. Plants are also autotrophic. Fungi do not have cell walls and they are heterogrophs. Interesting...

So if a mushroom isn't a vegetable, what is it? Is fungus actually a classification for food?

technically or biologically no, but food group wise, yes.

but let's take it one further...steak with sauted mushrooms, it's an accompaniment or a "spice" but stuffed mushrooms or grilled portabellos it's the main. along side a roast or in a stew its more like the carrots and potatoes...back to veg. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
CyberSlag5k said:
I say it's a vegetable, though in thinking about it, I think the nominclature could use more thorough definition.

Good choice, now I'm going to go fix a nice pot of Rock Stew and a tall Lumberjack Float for dessert :mrgreen:

CyberSlag5k said:

Um.... when I was in school there were only 2 kingdoms (kingdom, phylum, class, order, genus, species, IIRC), plant and animal. Since it would be a stretch to call a mushroom an animal :rolleyes: , it has to be a plant... and I think that any biologist would agree.

As to whether it's a vegetable, I'm not quite so certain of that. IMO, vegetable is purely a culinary term anyway. Most (not all... see carrot... :rolleyes: ) of what we call vegetables are actually fruits to a biologist. And a mushroom definitely isn't a fruit. :LOL:

I call it an ingredient (if it is mixed into a dish), or a side dish if it stands alone. All I know is that I eat a lot of them... :mrgreen:

RPCookin said:
Um.... when I was in school there were only 2 kingdoms (kingdom, phylum, class, order, genus, species, IIRC), plant and animal....

RP:

How old are you, man!?!? Things have changed since you were in school::ohmy:

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species

To date there are five kingdoms: Animalia, which is made up of animals; Plantae, which is made up of plants; Protista, which is made up of protists (single-celled creatures invisible to the human eye); Fungi, which is made up of mushrooms, mold, yeast, lichen, etc; and Monera, which is made up of the three types of bacteria.

I feel your pain:rolleyes: . When I was in school, three wasn't a computer or digital calculator in sight! I carried a slide rule in college.

Now, be nice to the kids Andy - they probably wouldn't know a "slip-stick" if one hit them on the head. Much less what to do with one! Long live Micronta - long live K&E!!! :LOL:

Mushrooms are a fungi .... neither plant nor animal as you said - they are sometimes used as a vegetable, sometimes as a meat (grilled portobello caps on a bun, for one example) for their "meaty" texture. This is getting kind of pedantic - like is chicken really meat if it's not beef?

I don't know what the technical answer is, but for me the practical answer is that it is a vegetable. When my daughter is older and decides to push the mushrooms aside I will not say "eat your fungus'. I will of course tell her to eat her veggies. Just as a tomato is not technically a veggie we still all refer to it as one.

Don't feel bad, RPcookin, I learned the same thing you did. I guess we are fossils...LOL!

Thing is, vegetable is a grocery term, not a botanical one. So, as far as I'm concerned, shrooms are a vegie. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Does it really matter?? If you like them, then eat them. You could call it Ice Cream and I'd say "no thanks.."
Dove who eats almost anything..

Michael in FtW said:
...they probably wouldn't know a "slip-stick" if one hit them on the head. Much less what to do with one! Long live Micronta - long live K&E!!! :LOL: ...

Michael:

I still have my K&E in the leather case. I used to be pretty good with it at one time but now, Excel and the electronic calculator have made it obsolete!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom