"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 11-17-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
Head Chef
kosher meat is the same as halal meat,which muslims eat!the procedure of slaughtering etc is the same,muslims either eat halal or kosher meat!

Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom
but too much salt might make you a little fuhklempt.
I'm feeling a SNL moment - Talk amongst yourselves.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #13
Master Chef
halal and kosher is not the same. though muslim eat kosher meat, the people that eat kosher cannot eat halal, as they are not up to the kosher rules and standards
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:11 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by licia
I thought being "kosher' meant it had been blessed by a rabbi!!!! There's more to it than that?
Thats what I thought too!
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer
The kosher laws are very extensive and encompass many different things. Like Charlie said, a Rabbi has little to do with it other than supervising the slaughter. As far as I know, the Rabbi does not say any prayers over the food.

One of the kosher laws is that you are not allowed to ingest blood. By salting the meat this draws out the blood and makes the meat OK to eat (for acceptable types of meat. No matter how much salt you use, pork will never be kosher). It would seem to me that the koshering process and the brining process would be exact opposites. brining is the process of getting salt and water into the bird while koshering is the process of drawing things out. I know from experience that kosher birds are saltier to taste than non kosher birds, but I would be looking to brine for the added moisture.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Brining a turkey (or any other piece of meat) locks moisture in more than adding moisture to the meat. When you put meat into a brine, there is an exchange of fluids through the cell walls. Unsalted fluid is expelled and saltier fluid is drawn in. This occurs in an effort to equalize the salinity on the opposite sides of the cell walls.

A portion of this process I don't understand causes the cells to hold onto the saltier fluids and resist releasing them in the cooking process. This results in a saltier/more flavorful bird.

Following that thought process, dry salt applied to the bird would extract moisture from the flesh (a attempt by the cells to equalize the moisture on both sides of the cell walls). This fluid will dissolve some salt and that saltier liquid will be drawn back into the cells (in an attempt to equalize the salinity).

So, if I'm correct in my recollection of the science, a salted but not brined bird will be more moist than an unsalted one. I can't say if the effect of salting is greater than, equal to or less than the effect of brining.

Of course, this doesn't add any of the other flavors you may put into a brine. I'd be concerned about the bird's being too salty.

You could soak it in plain water to draw some of the salt out then brine it to add salt and other flavors. That seems like a bit of overkill.

All that being said, I'd fry it without brining. It cooks so fast that dryness really isn't an issue.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #17
Master Chef
I agree with Andy, that if you deep-fry the turkey, there's no need to brine it.

You could also cook the turkey the way my first MIL taught me...Just rub with seasonings, put it breast side down in a roaster, tent with foil, and let it cook. The fat from the back drips down on the breast and makes it so juicey. So you don't have a crisp brown skin...you have a moist delicious turkey, every time.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
This is from the Cooks Illustrated web Site:

Kosher: Empire Kosher
Hand-processing often leaves these salt-treated birds with a good number of feathers still attached. They taste great without brining.
Where you are is where you belong, it is where you are going that you can change
SpiceUmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:30 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
feathers taste great without brining?
cooks illustrated needs a new editor.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #20
Executive Chef
I don't know from laws or koshering - I DO know that kosher birds are on the salty side, no matter how they got that way! So I'd be careful about brining the bird on top of that, or you'll have all your hypertensive aunts and uncles keeling over!

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote