"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 06-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
Master Chef

I have read in some old "etiquette" book that one should use a spoon to twirl spaghetti to be "proper" - but my ex-wife (Brooklyn NY born first generation off the boat Italian-American) never did. I figure she learned the proper way to eat pasta from her "born in Italy" Dad and 3 uncles ... so I do as she did and never use a spoon.

I think the only place I ever heard that I should use a spoon and fork for eating pasta was when I was very young and living in New Orleans, LA. I could twirl my "sketti" on my fork against my plate with no problem ... but trying to coordinate fork and spoon ... you might just as well have given me chopsticks!

Old 06-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I really have nothing to add about how you should or shouldn't, but I hate doing it. I just found out about this a few weeks ago when my room mates and I decided we were going to go to a different restaurant every week. We went to our first restaurant and I ordered a pasta dish and got a spoon with it. It seems like such a waste and makes the eating process unecessarily complicated.

brad

Old 06-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
My bf's aunt is Italian and I've never seen her use a spoon to eat spaghetti.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #14
Master Chef

You know what? I think you should do whatever method is most comfortable for you. I've seen folks use both methods & I haven't felt that any of them have been incorrect.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:57 PM   #15
Head Chef

Don't know how I missed this thread 'til now. Here's my confession. I use a spoon when I'm alone but not in public.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #16
Executive Chef

My research says it is not only regional, but relates to type and size of pasta being eaten, as well as the event.

There are some very long pastas eaten with thin sauces and these one may use a spoon if it is set at the place, but one wouldn't ask the hostess or waiter if it were not set.

Standard foot long pastas, be they angel hair or linguini would not be thought to need a spoon. Nor would one need a spoon at grandma's UNLESS she thought you did and gave you one...because she wanted you to get all her sauce, because you were a sloppy eater, because she was raised that way and thought you should be too.

Now very elegant settings with people eating in fine dining clothes may provide you with a spoon or a bib or both.

If you want another argument, ask a New Englander what kind of crackers go in their chowda.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
If you want another argument, ask a New Englander what kind of crackers go in their chowda.
Or ask a Roman whether pancetta or guanciale should go into their spaghetti alla carbonara...
Old 06-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
...If you want another argument, ask a New Englander what kind of crackers go in their chowda.
Most places serve oyster crackers but I prefer Saltines.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:26 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Crown Pilot crackahs...the crackah that Maine saved from extinction!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #20
Master Chef

My folks (NH) always ate saltines or the little oyster crackers. Usually saltines, though. Actually, Daddy eats saltines with most seafood. Crab and lobster get dipped in butter and plopped on a saltine.