Is rinsing crystal with cold water best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
This may be an old wive's tale, but I was recently told that the best way to give a good sparkle to crystal (I'm thinking about wine glasses in particular here) is to rinse them in cold, rather than hot water.

Is this true?

Best regards,
Alex R.

I have not heard that. I rinse in warm water. I figure the warmer water will rinse off the soapy residue better. Then I hand dry. They seem fine.

i am no oracle on how to treat crystal. i just throw wine glasses in the dishwasher. that is a no no, i am sure but they shine just fine.

It's really only an issue with etching. I buy Cascade with "Shine Shield" which keeps the dishwasher detergent from etching. We've been doing it for years and it really works. I have had stuff get etched with dishwasher detergent before they came up with "Shine Shield". We rarely get a water spot on any of the crystal glasses. If you want to be sure not to have any water spots, dry the glasses by hand out of the dishwasher.

We use the crystal wine glasses a lot. We drink about 6-8 litres of wine in a month and only use crystal (I got it on sale and booze tastes better out of crystal).

I always hand wash in warm water - does get rid of the soapy residue, and air dry my crystal. I made the mistake of using the dishwasher once, put the glasses on the top rack but they came out with chunks of crystal shaved from the rims. Lost some good glasses that way. Have never used the dishwasher for china or crystal again.

I always hand wash in warm water - does get rid of the soapy residue, and air dry my crystal. I made the mistake of using the dishwasher once, put the glasses on the top rack but they came out with chunks of crystal shaved from the rims. Lost some good glasses that way. Have never used the dishwasher for china or crystal again.

Having never had a dishwasher, I'll serve wine in coffee cups to get one. :rolleyes:

~Kathleen

Back
Top Bottom