"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Question ISO advice/tips on how to make scrambled eggs

how do you make scrambled eggs without sticking on a pan?

wizardOFkitchen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Executive Chef
What kind of pan?

Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Master Chef
I use a really good non stick pan and then butter the pan well. Add your eggs folding gently till just under done and still oozing. Sprinkle with the best cheese I have and a splash of tabasco! Darn it you made me want scrambled eggs now..lol!
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Head Chef
I use well seasoned cast iron, a couple teaspoons of butter. Non-stick is also great for eggs, but you really do need to add butter/oil, even for the non-stick pans.

Pretty much any other kind of pan leads to sticky eggs. Lots of people buy a non-stick JUST for eggs--don't cook anything else in it. If you buy less expensive non-stick, just trade it in for a new one after a while, when the eggs start to stick.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I usually scramble eggs with cheese, so I spray my teflon pan. A little of the cheese is going to end up sticking, but it's okay.

I mix my cheese in with the beaten eggs so the bits are suspended in the egg, then I pull the edges toward the middle as they solidify, letting more egg spread out onto the pan. I open up the middle of the eggs and turn over any soggy areas until just right.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Senior Cook
I have two pans that are single serving eggs only pans. This way I can do eggs to order for the kids. The reason for eggs only non-stick is that the proteins of other foods causes the eggs to stick.

If you go to culinary school they have non-stick pans for eggs. That is the only instance that non-stick pans are OK in culinary school.
Two things make every meal better. Pork Fat and Carbonation. It's that simple.
Dumpandstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
Lightly scramble the eggs with a fork. Add a splash of water or milk. Heat a non-stick pan at medium and melt a pat of butter. Add the eggs and stir quickly with a wood or plastic spatula. When the eggs are almost done (still a little liquid) remove them to a plate. Season and enjoy.

The eggs will continue to cook after you plate them. If you continue to cook the eggs until they are exactly the way you like them, they will be overcooked in the plate.

If there eggs are cooked but watery, you overcooked them. Excessive heat causes the egg proteins to contract, squeezing moisture out into the pan, leaving you with dry overcooked eggs.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Master Chef
Instead of adding milk or water to the eggs, try adding a spoonful of cottage cheese. Delicious.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Like Andy said,(maybe others, too) don't have your heat too high and I stir them constantly from start to finish. Stop the heat while they are still good and moist, they will finish cooking from their own heat retention.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
Master Chef
I find it helps to break all the eggs into a bowl first and scramble them with a fork, whisk or hand blender. I add my salt and pepper then too. Get the pan hot with some melted butter and pour the whole bowl into the pan. I have a nonstick pan just for eggs but have been known to use my cast iron. If I have it on hand, I will use bacon grease instead of butter. Stir the eggs very frequently and be sure to cover the entire pan bottom with your spatula. I add cheese also but I wait until about halfway through the cooking process. Usually then when the cheese is melted, the eggs are done (still slightly "runny" as noted in other posts) and ready to eat.

I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote