ISO help cooking a whole chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
I just put a whole chicken in my enamel oval granite roasting pan ,i seasoned it in it went ...no liquid.,But the problem is i cant find the lid to it (i am use to cooking with the lid) and we are out of foil. So i need help and advice will this cook ok with out a covering? The oven is at 350. I am thinking the juice that comes out of the chicken will either evaporate or burn bec. no lid... Thanks ahead of time

You should get a nice roast chicken with golden brown skin. If the liquids evaporate, after you take the chicken out og the pan to rest, deglaze the pan with some chicken broth. Add some minced shallots and garlic and thicken with flour = gravy.

Do you have a roaster lid? Or the roaster itself? Even a large serving plate would work for a lid. How big is your CP? A dinner plate would work with the smaller ones. A fry pan lid, a couple of foil pie tins squished down, some wax paper, plastic wrap, paper plates, a piece of styrofoam, a hunk of a styrofoam cooler.....

Last edited:
i was worried about the juices evaporating.....so far still ok.

You may find you like it even better without the top on. Like Andy said, you'll probably get a "nice roasted chicken with golden brown skin. Many like a crispy skin. It shouldn't affect the moisture inside...only overcooking will do that. Baste it every now and then.

it turned out ok, we really like the fall of bone way with the lid. This was differnet ,,,,really crispy skin,this way.

I just put a whole chicken in my enamel oval granite roasting pan ,i seasoned it in it went ...no liquid.,But the problem is i cant find the lid to it (i am use to cooking with the lid) and we are out of foil. So i need help and advice will this cook ok with out a covering? The oven is at 350. I am thinking the juice that comes out of the chicken will either evaporate or burn bec. no lid... Thanks ahead of time

I roast chicken all the time in an uncovered 9x13 pan fitted with a roasting rack. I will usually baste once or twice with melted butter and herbs.

it turned out ok, we really like the fall of bone way with the lid. This was differnet ,,,,really crispy skin,this way.

Yeah, because you had a REAL ROAST chicken, with the lid, you are steaming it in it's own juices.

If you are worried about moisture loss with the lid off next time, all those bits that burn onto the bottom of the pan become a beautiful fond, to degalze with stock and wine, and build a wonderful rich sauce off of.

Roast the bird on a bed of chopped mirepoix for even MORE depth and flavor to the finished jus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom