ISO Help - Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisagail5

Assistant Cook
When I buy the eggs I make sure that the expiration date is current and that they are not cracked.

This is how I cook them:
I put the eggs in cold water and let them come to a boil uncovered.
I let them boil for 30 seconds then I remove them from the heat and cover
them for 15 minutes.
I then drain the hot water and put in cold water and not let the eggs be immersed in the water.
I then let them sit in the cold water for 5 minutes.

The yolks come out fine. Sometimes the whites are very liquid and not firm.

What am I doing wrong?

Increase the boil time to 1 minute and don't remove them from the burner after your turn them off. There's a little residual heat in the burner that will make a difference.

I place the eggs in cold water that covers them. Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer (water just beginning to bubble. Turn down heat to simmer and let cook for six minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Bounce the eggs in the dry pan to crack the shell. Add cold water from the tap and let run over the eggs for 1 minutes. The eggs peel very easy, and the white is not overcooked, but done through, including the yolk.

I like my yolk less dry, and so when I cook them just for me, or for deviled eggs, I follow the above directions, but cook them for 5 minutes after turning down the heat.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I put my eggs into cold water, cover the eggs with water, put the heat on high. after it comes to boil I cover, turn the heat off and leave on the stove (mine is electric so there is residual heat) for 15 minutes. perfect everytime.

I bake mine in the oven. It is the only way I can get fresh eggs to peel. Mind you, I do 4 dozen at a time for pickled eggs. I doubt I'll ever hard cook eggs on the stovetop ever again.

I place mine in cold water, then boil on medium for 15 minutes.

I just mention to Shrek that hard boiled eggs sound good and when I get home they are done.:rolleyes:

It's been, literally, 15 years or more since I've had a challenge making hard-boiled eggs.

As some of you might recall, I'm a thrift store/yard sale/estate sale aficionado and have "scored" some sweet finds. One of which was an egg cooker. I'm not sure how old it is but it does soft-boiled, hard-boiled and poached eggs to perfection. As a result, since procuring this handy little critter, I have had only the best hard-boiled eggs. I just set the machine, set my timer and let 'er rip.

Okay, beyond my mechanical egg-cooking advice, some of the things that have held me in good stead about preparing hard-boiled eggs and peeling them is that I've always made sure the eggs I cook are a minimum of 7 days old and that I puncture the shell with a tack or a pin before cooking.

I put them in cold water, cover, bring to a boil for about a minute, turn heat off and let sit for 10 minutes, then switch out the water with cold tap water and let them sit until I'm ready to peel. They are perfect every time with no green rim around the yolks and no funky smell.

Thank you. What I did wrong was not boil the eggs long enough. I did what Janet said last night and they came out perfectly.

It's been, literally, 15 years or more since I've had a challenge making hard-boiled eggs.

As some of you might recall, I'm a thrift store/yard sale/estate sale aficionado and have "scored" some sweet finds. One of which was an egg cooker. I'm not sure how old it is but it does soft-boiled, hard-boiled and poached eggs to perfection. As a result, since procuring this handy little critter, I have had only the best hard-boiled eggs. I just set the machine, set my timer and let 'er rip.
Can you post a pic of that? I think I've stumbled across the same several times but walked on by...

Back
Top Bottom