"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I use soap and water and my hands - sometimes a scrubber if I have one.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I'll try using a scrubber of some sort. I don't think I'm being too picky, it's just I can taste the dirt if I haven't done a good job of scrubbing them. The amount of dirt on them varies a lot with the type of potato, usually reds and yukon golds are pretty easy, it's the big bags of Idahos that seem like work.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't confuse dirt with flavor.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:43 AM   #14
Master Chef

I think maybe you're being too fussy. I toss them in warm soapy water for a few minutes, then scrub for a few seconds. Rinse. I have to say that Mom never did that much, and I'm still alive. If they were dirty, she peeled them, if they were clean enough she washed them. I sometimes wonder if kids have so many medical problems because they are "protected" a little too much. Just curiosity.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I use a green Scotchbrite pad. But I agree, just knock off the big clumps of dirt. They're pretty clean out of the bag, you don't have to scrub 'em to death.
Yep. Sometimes I just rinse mine off. Mine don't ever seem to have much dirt on them.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Soap and water?

Wow! I thought I had OC.

L

I use a brush (finger brush, pot brush, sink brush) under running slightly warm water (for lack of discomfort). Then I De-Eye and cut out the nastiness.

Dirt is highly 'soluble' and potatoes Ph is all wrong for bacteria (till their cooked).

I use to mushroom brush mushrooms but that is way too tedious. Now I rinse well, shake and let dry.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
OK, I'm certain not the approved way, but I don't scrub mine at all anymore unless there's visible dirt really visible dirt, which is very rare. I mean, they do go through several processes before they reach us. Baked or home fries I've noticed absolutely no difference. Nothing crunchy, nothing that has me take notice. I do remove any eyes though, usually with my thumbnail.
I do the same thing with mushrooms. I used to rinse them off under water and cut a thin slice of the stem off, then I heard that was bad for them and toughens them. I'll be danged if I'm going to wipe each individual mushroom off with a damp cloth OK, maybe if I was eating one or two portabellas, but not a package of white mushrooms.
Absolutely no difference that I've noticed. And I often eat mushrooms "prepared" this way raw in a salad

Works for me. Your mileage may vary.

+1 - Life is too short to spend a portion scrubbing vegetables. I rinse them, maybe scrub an obvious deposit of dirt, and prepare. Frankly, you could probably wet it, roll it in the dirt outside, eat it and be fine. People are so crazy with hygiene these days; I think it's damaging.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
Frankly, you could probably wet it, roll it in the dirt outside, eat it and be fine. People are so crazy with hygiene these days; I think it's damaging.
I don't think anyone is saying that you need to wash the dirt of so you won't get sick. Who wants to eat dirt though? Hey if you want nasty grit when you bite into your potato then go for it. I for one prefer not to eat dirt, not because of health reasons, but because it is just gross.

Your statement kind of reminds me of the kids in elementary school who would eat paper. It didn't make them sick or anything, but why would you want to do it?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that you need to wash the dirt of so you won't get sick. Who wants to eat dirt though? Hey if you want nasty grit when you bite into your potato then go for it. I for one prefer not to eat dirt, not because of health reasons, but because it is just gross.

Your statement kind of reminds me of the kids in elementary school who would eat paper. It didn't make them sick or anything, but why would you want to do it?
Well I guess to some people it's gross, to me its innocuous. I mean I wouldn't deliberately add more dirt to my food, I just wont go far out of my way to remove small amounts.

I for one wouldn't eat paper (though I did eat the indoor playing sand :S), mostly because there's no nutritional value and I don't appreciate the flavour or texture. As for the sand, I guess I just liked crunching it and I didn't know what germs were, let alone care... I was a kid!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
I don't appreciate the flavour or texture.
Which is exactly why I take the 30 seconds it takes to wash any dirt off my potatoes. Who wants that grit or flavor in a dish that they spent all that time (and $) making when it takes next to no time or effort to get rid of it?