ISO More efficient way to clean POTATOES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a cute small very stiff brush with a handle shaped like a potato - lol - that's specifically for scrubbing root vegetables. Works great & it only takes me seconds to scrub a spud clean with it.

I agree with most of the posters that there is no need to obsess over it. I use one of two methods... a vegetable scrubbing brush or kosher salt.

My mom (and GB's grandmother) taught me to scrub veggies with a handful of kosher salt. It does a great job and seasons at the same time.

My mom (and GB's grandmother) taught me to scrub veggies with a handful of kosher salt. It does a great job and seasons at the same time.
OK now that is a seriously cool idea. I always knew grandma was (is) a smart woman ;)

That is a cool idea using kosher salt.

I think the main reason I stopped brushing potatoes, aside from there is never any dirt on the ones I buy, is that it takes the skin off if I brush at my "regular" brushing pressure. Especially if I wet them first. I always buy those large "restaurant style" baking potatos and the skin doesn't seem as thick as the smaller russets that are always on sale.

No - no eyes. In fact, it looks like a real little baby spud. If you stuck it in with a bunch of baby potatoes, you'd think it was real.

I've had it for over 10 years now, & it does a terrific job of cleaning root veggies - especially those from my own garden that come in with a lot of earth on them.

for russets, under running water i firmly but gently "wring" them with both hands. Using the texture of [the skin of] my palms to get the dirt off. No need for soiling clean tools.

Back
Top Bottom