"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO More efficient way to clean POTATOES

I hope I'm posting this question in the right area. Does anyone have any tips for a faster more efficient way to clean potatoes? I usually soak them ahead then use a brush, rinse, inspect repeat a time or or two as needed. Sometimes it seems like too much work just for some home fries and I'll take the quick and easy route and just peel 'em, but we really like our potatoes with skins at my house. I frequently will make large batches for left overs so it can be time consuming. Any thoughts on making this less of a chore gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Everymom

I don't soak mine, but I use a surgical scrubber that does a great job. And my only tip is not to be TOO picky. Just scrub off the dirt, cut off any bruises and use 'em.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I don't soak mine, but I use a surgical scrubber that does a great job. And my only tip is not to be TOO picky. Just scrub off the dirt, cut off any bruises and use 'em.
That was going to be my suggestion as well....just get rid of the dirt and bruises....shouldn't take that long really.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Master Chef

Well, if yoiu like the sckin so much why bother alltogeteh. Just was so it's cleran. And go ahead make whatever you want.

I would not toch the sckin unless it is organicaly grown potato. All the chemichals end up in the sckin.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Welcome!

This thread caught my eye, I thought you were offering a better way to scrub potatoes!
I do just like you do; rinse first to soften the dirt, then scrub with a vegetable brush. I just scrubbed 15 medium to large spuds for dinner tonight! Made mashed potatoes with additions, and hope to have them for a few more meals this week. This is just a chore that I have come to accept! And I am really happy when the potatoes turn out big, like they did this year. Last years potatoes were pitiful.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

OK, I'm certain not the approved way, but I don't scrub mine at all anymore unless there's visible dirt really visible dirt, which is very rare. I mean, they do go through several processes before they reach us. Baked or home fries I've noticed absolutely no difference. Nothing crunchy, nothing that has me take notice. I do remove any eyes though, usually with my thumbnail.
I do the same thing with mushrooms. I used to rinse them off under water and cut a thin slice of the stem off, then I heard that was bad for them and toughens them. I'll be danged if I'm going to wipe each individual mushroom off with a damp cloth OK, maybe if I was eating one or two portabellas, but not a package of white mushrooms.
Absolutely no difference that I've noticed. And I often eat mushrooms "prepared" this way raw in a salad

Works for me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I have a scrubbing pad that I just use for cleaning potatoes. It's fast and easy.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I use combo sponge with a teflon safe scrubbing material on one side - the blue ones.

The scrubber side works great to take off surface dirt, then I just rinse and go.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 AM   #9
Head Chef

I use a green Scotchbrite pad. But I agree, just knock off the big clumps of dirt. They're pretty clean out of the bag, you don't have to scrub 'em to death.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I use a cloth made out of that green scrubber stuff on the sponges.Its very fast and easy, shapes around the potato good.