ISO More efficient way to clean POTATOES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potato Repairman

Assistant Cook
I hope I'm posting this question in the right area. Does anyone have any tips for a faster more efficient way to clean potatoes? I usually soak them ahead then use a brush, rinse, inspect repeat a time or or two as needed. Sometimes it seems like too much work just for some home fries and I'll take the quick and easy route and just peel 'em, but we really like our potatoes with skins at my house. I frequently will make large batches for left overs so it can be time consuming. Any thoughts on making this less of a chore gratefully accepted. Thanks.

I don't soak mine, but I use a surgical scrubber that does a great job. And my only tip is not to be TOO picky. Just scrub off the dirt, cut off any bruises and use 'em.

I don't soak mine, but I use a surgical scrubber that does a great job. And my only tip is not to be TOO picky. Just scrub off the dirt, cut off any bruises and use 'em.

That was going to be my suggestion as well....just get rid of the dirt and bruises....shouldn't take that long really.

Well, if yoiu like the sckin so much why bother alltogeteh. Just was so it's cleran. And go ahead make whatever you want.

I would not toch the sckin unless it is organicaly grown potato. All the chemichals end up in the sckin.

Welcome!

This thread caught my eye, I thought you were offering a better way to scrub potatoes!
I do just like you do; rinse first to soften the dirt, then scrub with a vegetable brush. I just scrubbed 15 medium to large spuds for dinner tonight! Made mashed potatoes with additions, and hope to have them for a few more meals this week. This is just a chore that I have come to accept! And I am really happy when the potatoes turn out big, like they did this year. Last years potatoes were pitiful.

OK, I'm certain not the approved way, but I don't scrub mine at all anymore unless there's visible dirt :ohmy: really visible dirt, which is very rare. I mean, they do go through several processes before they reach us. Baked or home fries I've noticed absolutely no difference. Nothing crunchy, nothing that has me take notice. I do remove any eyes though, usually with my thumbnail.
I do the same thing with mushrooms. I used to rinse them off under water and cut a thin slice of the stem off, then I heard that was bad for them and toughens them. I'll be danged if I'm going to wipe each individual mushroom off with a damp cloth :LOL: OK, maybe if I was eating one or two portabellas, but not a package of white mushrooms.
Absolutely no difference that I've noticed. And I often eat mushrooms "prepared" this way raw in a salad :ohmy:

Works for me. Your mileage may vary.

I have a scrubbing pad that I just use for cleaning potatoes. It's fast and easy.

I use combo sponge with a teflon safe scrubbing material on one side - the blue ones.

The scrubber side works great to take off surface dirt, then I just rinse and go.

I use a green Scotchbrite pad. But I agree, just knock off the big clumps of dirt. They're pretty clean out of the bag, you don't have to scrub 'em to death.:ROFLMAO:

I use a cloth made out of that green scrubber stuff on the sponges.Its very fast and easy, shapes around the potato good.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I'll try using a scrubber of some sort. I don't think I'm being too picky, it's just I can taste the dirt if I haven't done a good job of scrubbing them. The amount of dirt on them varies a lot with the type of potato, usually reds and yukon golds are pretty easy, it's the big bags of Idahos that seem like work.

I think maybe you're being too fussy. I toss them in warm soapy water for a few minutes, then scrub for a few seconds. Rinse. I have to say that Mom never did that much, and I'm still alive. If they were dirty, she peeled them, if they were clean enough she washed them. I sometimes wonder if kids have so many medical problems because they are "protected" a little too much. Just curiosity.

Soap and water?

Wow! I thought I had OC.

L

I use a brush (finger brush, pot brush, sink brush) under running slightly warm water (for lack of discomfort). Then I De-Eye and cut out the nastiness.

Dirt is highly 'soluble' and potatoes Ph is all wrong for bacteria (till their cooked).

I use to mushroom brush mushrooms but that is way too tedious. Now I rinse well, shake and let dry.

OK, I'm certain not the approved way, but I don't scrub mine at all anymore unless there's visible dirt :ohmy: really visible dirt, which is very rare. I mean, they do go through several processes before they reach us. Baked or home fries I've noticed absolutely no difference. Nothing crunchy, nothing that has me take notice. I do remove any eyes though, usually with my thumbnail.
I do the same thing with mushrooms. I used to rinse them off under water and cut a thin slice of the stem off, then I heard that was bad for them and toughens them. I'll be danged if I'm going to wipe each individual mushroom off with a damp cloth :LOL: OK, maybe if I was eating one or two portabellas, but not a package of white mushrooms.
Absolutely no difference that I've noticed. And I often eat mushrooms "prepared" this way raw in a salad :ohmy:

Works for me. Your mileage may vary.

+1 - Life is too short to spend a portion scrubbing vegetables. I rinse them, maybe scrub an obvious deposit of dirt, and prepare. Frankly, you could probably wet it, roll it in the dirt outside, eat it and be fine. People are so crazy with hygiene these days; I think it's damaging.

Frankly, you could probably wet it, roll it in the dirt outside, eat it and be fine. People are so crazy with hygiene these days; I think it's damaging.
I don't think anyone is saying that you need to wash the dirt of so you won't get sick. Who wants to eat dirt though? Hey if you want nasty grit when you bite into your potato then go for it. I for one prefer not to eat dirt, not because of health reasons, but because it is just gross.

Your statement kind of reminds me of the kids in elementary school who would eat paper. It didn't make them sick or anything, but why would you want to do it?

I don't think anyone is saying that you need to wash the dirt of so you won't get sick. Who wants to eat dirt though? Hey if you want nasty grit when you bite into your potato then go for it. I for one prefer not to eat dirt, not because of health reasons, but because it is just gross.

Your statement kind of reminds me of the kids in elementary school who would eat paper. It didn't make them sick or anything, but why would you want to do it?

Well I guess to some people it's gross, to me its innocuous. I mean I wouldn't deliberately add more dirt to my food, I just wont go far out of my way to remove small amounts.

I for one wouldn't eat paper (though I did eat the indoor playing sand :S), mostly because there's no nutritional value and I don't appreciate the flavour or texture. As for the sand, I guess I just liked crunching it and I didn't know what germs were, let alone care... I was a kid!

I don't appreciate the flavour or texture.
Which is exactly why I take the 30 seconds it takes to wash any dirt off my potatoes. Who wants that grit or flavor in a dish that they spent all that time (and $) making when it takes next to no time or effort to get rid of it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom