ISO proper way to use hand-held box grater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I have never seen a recipe call for equal size shreds of anything, I've done it just for appearance sake. Seems a waste of time to some people but to others it's a challenge and a win when you succeed.

My suggestion would be to get away from the box grater for some of your larger shredding needs. You might try something like any of these for vegies.
Amazon.com: Presto 02970 Professional SaladShooter Electric Slicer/Shredder, White: Kitchen & Dining

We had this when I was growing up and it will take care of anything you need shredded. Wish I had it these days .. that thing was tough and very reliable.
Food Processor Cutter Grater Shredder Slicer by AuntieLolasAttic

Last edited:
Box Grater

Andy,

just read your response on forget about the shred lengths. This question came to mind..... When you do, say cheese do you just start shredding on any side or do you look for the short side and start there? Same with any other food do you just pick a side a start or do you consider what side first?

Thanks

Andy,

just read your response on forget about the shred lengths. This question came to mind..... When you do, say cheese do you just start shredding on any side or do you look for the short side and start there? Same with any other food do you just pick a side a start or do you consider what side first?

Thanks

Most of the time when I'm shredding cheese, it's going to be mixed into food and melted or spread on top of food and melted. So it doesn't matter. I turn the cheese to the most convenient side and go. I keep a wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano and grate off that. I turn it from side to side to maintain a shape that's easy to grate. I don't want to grate a groove into the wedge.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't really care about uniform length. We're talking about food here, not art. People shred cheese so it's in smaller pieces so it will mix in or melt easily. Uniform thickness is important, not uniform length.

Last edited:
GLC said:
The correct grip and orientation are those that result in a maximum of grated food product and a minimum of grated finger.

RIGHT

WRONG

Laughing laughing laughing!

Aside from keeping your digits intact just do what's most comfortable and gives you the results your looking for.

Back
Top Bottom