Keeping Bread Dough from Climbing Dough Hook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodakkid

Assistant Cook
Dear colleagues: I am a relatively new to the world of cooking. I am trying to use my KitchenAid mixer to knead bread dough but the dough keeps climbing up the dough hook. :cry: Is there any way to prevent this from happening:?: Thanks so much:!:
Gary

Welcome to the site, Gary! It's actually not a bad thing when your dough climbs up the hook. It means that it's getting closer to being ready. The trick is to make sure that it's not too sticky when you go to pull it off.

By mixing your dough in your KA, you're reducing your manual mixing/kneading time by a good 50%. The KA instructions say that you can tell the dough is ready when it pulls away from the bowl, forms a "ball" of sorts and climbs the hook. I believe they also say to not run it above speed 4 when you're mixing dough, either.

If the dough is climbing before it's fully kneaded and smooth, stop the mixer, add a little flour (I do a Tbsp at a time) and turn it on again. That should help everything pull together better.
Good luck!

This used to happen to me with pizza dough. Now I lightly oil the shaft of the dough hook and that really reduces the climbing tendencies of the dough.

PA Baker: Thanks so much. I greatly appreciate your help!
Gary

PA Baker said:
Welcome to the site, Gary! It's actually not a bad thing when your dough climbs up the hook. It means that it's getting closer to being ready. The trick is to make sure that it's not too sticky when you go to pull it off.

By mixing your dough in your KA, you're reducing your manual mixing/kneading time by a good 50%. The KA instructions say that you can tell the dough is ready when it pulls away from the bowl, forms a "ball" of sorts and climbs the hook. I believe they also say to not run it above speed 4 when you're mixing dough, either.

If the dough is climbing before it's fully kneaded and smooth, stop the mixer, add a little flour (I do a Tbsp at a time) and turn it on again. That should help everything pull together better.
Good luck!

Thanks

Andy: Thanks. I'll try that.
Gary

Andy M. said:
This used to happen to me with pizza dough. Now I lightly oil the shaft of the dough hook and that really reduces the climbing tendencies of the dough.

Alton Brown said, to raise the speed and centrifugal force would bring it down. Oiling the dough hook sounds like an excellent idea too.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.
Gary

bevkile said:
Alton Brown said, to raise the speed and centrifugal force would bring it down. Oiling the dough hook sounds like an excellent idea too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom