"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Inherently all salt is kosher, unless something non kosher added to it. But you are right Morton's Kosher salt does have anti-caking agent added to it. All together salt nowadays so processed it is disgusting. They take all the goodness out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
So asking my favorite Kosher practitioner, what kind of salt do you buy and use?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I have 5 kg of Kosher salt in my car. Over-ordered last week, taking them back to the wholesaler for a refund/credit. It does not weigh the same as table salt. Trust me. I estimated we needed just over 7 kg, the person in charge of sourcing said no, 14+ kg. I was right, she was wrong. We decided to keep one extra box for cleaning CI pans and of course the open box, about 1/2 full.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:18 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have 5 kg of Kosher salt in my car. Over-ordered last week, taking them back to the wholesaler for a refund/credit. It does not weigh the same as table salt. Trust me. I estimated we needed just over 7 kg, the person in charge of sourcing said no, 14+ kg. I was right, she was wrong. We decided to keep one extra box for cleaning CI pans and of course the open box, about 1/2 full.
Yea! One for the Big Chicken Lady in the Big Chicken Coop.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:

It indeed weighs the same.

5 kg of table salt weighs the same as 5 kg of kosher salt. Both are 5 kg.

The thing that confuses folks is VOLUME.

A T of table salt contains more salt than a T of kosher salt because the crystals are so much smaller.

So a container, say a shoebox, of table salt will be heavier than a shoebox of kosher salt. Because there is more salt in the box.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

A T of table salt contains more salt than a T of kosher salt because the crystals are so much smaller.

So a container, say a shoebox, of table salt will be heavier than a shoebox of kosher salt. Because there is more salt in the box.
Thank you for the explanation. I do understand it. Wow! A math problem I can understand. What miracle will happen next?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

It doesn't measure the same. The recipe called for 1/2 cup per customer. We needed 50 cups. By weight, this came out to 7 kg and a bit by my calculation using the weight in grams for 1/2 c of Kosher Salt multiplied by 50 and then converted to kg since the salt is sold by the kg. The other person calculated it based on the weight for 1/2 c table salt in grams and then converted to kg. The shoebox may weigh the same, but the number of shoeboxes needed may not be the same.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
It doesn't measure the same. The recipe called for 1/2 cup per customer. We needed 50 cups. By weight, this came out to 7 kg and a bit by my calculation using the weight in grams for 1/2 c of Kosher Salt multiplied by 50 and then converted to kg since the salt is sold by the kg. The other person calculated it based on the weight for 1/2 c table salt in grams and then converted to kg. The shoebox may weigh the same, but the number of shoeboxes needed may not be the same.
jennyemma wrote that the shoe boxes would not weigh the same. She was making the same point as you. Any volume of table salt will weigh more than the same volume of kosher [or other coarse] salt. That is why I recommended using weight measure, earlier in this thread.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
jennyemma wrote that the shoe boxes would not weigh the same. She was making the same point as you. Any volume of table salt will weigh more than the same volume of kosher [or other coarse] salt. That is why I recommended using weight measure, earlier in this thread.
Why is this such a difficult concept? The shape of the individual pieces is a controlling factor in the weight of a given volume of any material. Fill a 2' x 2' x 2' box of uninflated balloons. It will be so heavy that most people won't be able to lift it. Now inflate those balloons and only a tiny fraction of them will fit into the box, and it will weigh almost nothing.

The same is true of salt, but to a different ratio. The small crystals of table salt pack closer together than the larger crystals of coarse (or kosher) salt, thus they don't pack as tightly, and a given container doesn't weigh as much as the same container of table salt. The air spaces between the big crystals are larger, and since air weighs a lot less than salt, the container of kosher salt weighs less than the same one of table salt.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #39
Master Chef

Yes, it's an easy concept and a good analogy by RP

Take a tablespoon of table salt and dissolve it in a cup of water.

And take a tablespoon of kosher salt and dissolve it, also, in a cup of water.

Do a taste test.

The table salted water will taste saltier.

Which leads many people who are not thinking things through (including many bloggers and even TV chefs) to conclude that table salt itself tastes saltier than kosher salt.

Not so.

The water tastes saltier simply because there was more salt in it.

More table salt fits in a T measuring spoon because its crystals are smaller.

And not to overcomplicate things but there is a difference in the size of kosher salt crystals, too. Morton's are smaller than Diamond Crystal's.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Why is this such a difficult concept? ...
What makes you think we are finding it a difficult concept? A number of people have explained it in different ways. The last reply that wasn't an explanation was, "Thank you for the explanation. I do understand it. Wow! A math problem I can understand."

Tags
salt