Laser Thermometer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Lab yes, I wouldn`t be able to opperate the Laser for long without it (it auto-adjusts the output power).
so yes I rate them quite Highly!

what sort of Laser do you Have?

I've seen Alton Brown use a laser thermometer to measure the surface temperature of a heating skillet. I don't see that the expense is a necessary one for me, but it's a cool gadget.

a simple Thermocouple or PIR (Passive Infra Red) detector would be just as good, although the PIR type are much faster and you don`t need contact with the material that`s Hot in order to read the temp.

I have a PIR type here also, but it`s no good for cooking, if it goes above 37c (ish) it tells you go to the Hospital :)
it`s the In-Ear medical type, but there are sorts that work over a Much wider range!

I am curious Why he used a Lasers thermometer though? there`s nothing special about them and they`re realy rather Clumsy to use as they`re so delicate.

They are good for certain applications, but as stated, they are good for surface readings.

There are laser thermometers that also have a digital probe as well, that is a better alternative, imo, as you can get very accurate and quick internal temps.

well the Probe will be Analog but it gets digitaly processed after, mine is Purely Analog, if the Laser temp starts to heat up, it`ll cut the output power down to accomodate it.
I`d love one with a Digital readout though!
I keep meaning to get some active cooling for it, maybe Peltier devices, Fan cooled tends to make the Optics dusty after a while and you lose some coherancy.
for now I`ll just stick to the big metal heatsink :)

YT2095: Heh, I love the common-use 'laser', meaning anything that is done with the EM spectrum that's not radio or TV based.

Ahh, Peltiers. I'm considering using one of those in conjunction with my next overclocked PC, either that or watercooling. I imagine you'd have an easier time of it though, the cooling stage would be isolated from the optics stage, yah? I've heard some horror stories of Peltiers causing motherboards to be rotted through with condensation.

Back
Top Bottom