Let’s make some Chips [Fries]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
I don’t know for sure what variety you blokes use but we have a choice of Sebagos or Sebagos.
# 1 rule for us is never use washed potatoes, why?, because after they wash the potatoes they keep them in cold storage to stop them from going green. Potatoes kept in cold storage make sugar and potatoes with to much sugar in them simply do not make good chips, they go brown on the second cook while still raw in the centre. How do you tell if your potatoes have sugar, easy, get a diabetic test strip, slice the potato and test it.

Do we peel the spud? Who cares, it’s up to you. If you are making potato cakes [scallops] don’t peel them, the skin stops them from warping as much as peeled ones do.

Lets slice the spud, how many times do you see some wizbang on TV struggling cutting slice by slice from the side of the spud that wants to roll over on to its flat side? Bugger that, lop the end off, stand the spud on its end, slice down at the required thickness, rotate and slice down again, this produces the perfect shaped chip. Now, think about this, have you ever noticed that when people eat chips they work their way in from the outside of the heap and always eat the small crunchy ones first? So if you are not very good at slicing the spuds, don’t worry, they will probably enjoy them more.

Don’t forget to soak them in water for at least 10 minutes to leach the starch out. Dry them if you wish, but it makes for more interesting movements by the cook if you hit the hot oil with them with a little water still present.

So lets start cooking, if you have a steam press you have the best of both worlds, Steam them until they are ready to almost fall apart and then gently handle them in to the hot oil. Alternatively, boil them to the same extreme but it’s just not quiet the same because you boil the flavour out. Double cook in oil, that’s the go, first cook until 2/3 cook, cool and finish.
Now if you double cook in oil you will notice that the chips will shrink, not only do they diminish in size but sometimes they form little cups on the sides of the chips. How do we solve this problem? Easy, after soaking the chips in water place them in a drainer [I use the wash up trough at work] pour a medium batter of just flour and water over them and let them drain well, but not to long, say for 5 minutes until the excess has gone and then start cooking and then presto, the batter holds the chip in it’s original shape without the shrinkage thus making them super fluffy inside and the chips go out the door the same size that they went in to the cooker, this makes a big difference when cooking bulk quantities.

Here’s a pic of a precook of battered chips for a Friday night at work, note that I make rectangular chips and note that there is no shrinkage whatsoever, they will still be this shape after the final cook -- and the batter makes them "oh! my" crunchy.
Enjoy
31427588_21e4fb3ca2.jpg

As someone who cuts his own fries by hand, can you elaborate on your method?
I cut a bit off of one side so the potato can't roll, cut my slices, then cut the slices into "fry size". Sometimes stacking similar sized slices.
You cut the potato standing on end? Are your postatoes more round maybe than the long oval ones I use? You've obviously got your technique down cutting that many by hand :chef:

Sebagos, I googled it and didn't come up with much, it must be a variety of potatoes.
I think here we use Russet potatoes, kind of a dry more mealy potato.
potato: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

Okay, i'm going to try this the next time we have chips.
Cut the potato into what we call 'french fries'. To peel or not to peel depending on laziness I'm feeling that day.
Soak in water for 10 minutes.
Steam until cooked.
Coat in a light batter of water and flour, let drain.
Fry until 2/3 done. Drain.
Refry until brown and crispy.

Is that right? (I am confused around the soaking, steaming and coating in batter part.) ~Bliss

Try just opening a can of whole baby potatoes, drain and drop in the frier. Tasty little buggers when they come out all golden...I like them with garlic salt.

Potato varieties

DPIW - Potato Varieties

Here's a couple of links to describe our potatoes, the sebago is by far the most common and the most suitable on our markets to make chips.
I didn't cut those chips on the bench by hand, I have a Hobart chipper at work that I took each second blade out to make them two chips wide by one chip high. Sebagos are oblong so when cutting them at home I stand them on the end I cut off and while holding the potato in shape after the first slicing rotate it 90* to make the second cuts.
blissful said:
Okay, i'm going to try this the next time we have chips.
Cut the potato into what we call 'french fries'. To peel or not to peel depending on laziness I'm feeling that day.
Soak in water for 10 minutes.
Steam until cooked.
Coat in a light batter of water and flour, let drain.
Fry until 2/3 done. Drain.
Refry until brown and crispy.
I didn't mean to imply coating them after the steaming method blissful, they come out crunchy enough but by all means if you want to try battering them do so, you will not have to double cook them, just steam them and then fry them. I don't know whether it would be necessary to soak them in water first either because the steaming would leech the starch out.
I'm sorry if I confused you.

I have tried adding flavour to the batter such as chicken stock but it didn't work.

I didn't mean to imply coating them after the steaming method blissful, they come out crunchy enough but by all means if you want to try battering them do so, you will not have to double cook them, just steam them and then fry them. I don't know whether it would be necessary to soak them in water first either because the steaming would leech the starch out.
I'm sorry if I confused you.

I have tried adding flavour to the batter such as chicken stock but it didn't work.
No problem attie, I'm easily confused. :LOL:
So it's one of two methods really.
In one you soak them, dry them and coat with batter, drain and fry.
The other you steam them and fry them.

A couple times, I've tasted chips with a slight batter that was highly seasoned and I really liked them. Next time I try to make them I'm going to give your methods a try and report back here. (I'm gone on vacation starting in 15 minutes...the clock is ticking....can't wait!) See you later ~Bliss

Back
Top Bottom