Let's settle this! It's driving me nuts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh the visual that pops in my head of peecan pie.:( Not pretty.:ohmy:

Attachments

• DSC00062.jpg
    DSC00062.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 245
Tomaytoe, tomahtoe, potayto, potahto .....

Depends on where you live. Soda, Pop, Tonic.

Water fountain, bubbler.

Ant, Aunt

There doesn't have to be a right and wrong in how to pronounce food items.

Last edited:
Why do people pronounce AUNT as ANT? That's one that really bugs me. Pecan doesn't bother me as bad, but I usually try to pronounce words the way that they are spelled.

Am I weird, or did I just pay too much attention during phonics class?

there's lots of reasons why people pronounce things the way they do.

one of the more interesting things i heard recently was that before losing the civil war, southerners didn't have as strong if an accent or drawl as they did afterwards, and do today. it's assumed that it has to do with a sense of community and pride.

also, a study was done of nyc accents, especially brooklynese, and it is suggested that ny accents are based on laziness in a way. it takes fewer muscles and less vocal manipulation to talk in the local dialect of ny than to clearly and properly pronounce the same words.

My hi school teacher told me
"To speak and be understood its important to put the emfass is on the keerect si lab bulls".

there's lots of reasons why people pronounce things the way they do.

one of the more interesting things i heard recently was that before losing the civil war, southerners didn't have as strong if an accent or drawl as they did afterwards, and do today. it's assumed that it has to do with a sense of community and pride.
bugger another myth blown apart. We were told that all the spittoons had been made into bullets. This resulted in southern people swallowing the chawing tobacco juice rather than spitting it out.Hence their rather extended bowels or vowels or both at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom