Let's settle this! It's driving me nuts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or the boat so you don't have to hang your butt over the side (if you're female).

There are two kinds of divers. Those that pee in their wetsuits and those that tell you they don't!:rolleyes:

There's a right and logical way to go about this. The native range of the pecan begins along the lower Mississippi River and runs south and west. Texas has the largest native pecan range of any state. While all sorts of pronunciations can be found throughout the U.S., within the native range it is overwhelmingly pick-Ahn, puh-Khan, and occasionally pee-Khan, but I think that last one's suspect. The "Peas," Pea-can, Pee-khan, and Pea-un, are mostly outside the native range and therefore of no real consequence. So the Pea-cans, Pea-khans, and pick-Anns are just people who talk funny.

Nothing to settle. Since both pronunciations are shown in the dictionary, both are correct. And no matter how someone pronounces it, I think we all understand what they are talking about.

Nothing to settle. Since both pronunciations are shown in the dictionary, both are correct. And no matter how someone pronounces it, I think we all understand what they are talking about.
If a boat, a lake, fishing pole, and a 3 lb coffee can are shown next to the pee-can pronunciation, I definitely know what a pee-can is!

I grew up saying "pee-cans", but since moving to the South, it's "pe-khans" It must be a regional thing.

Back
Top Bottom