"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 02-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Light Olive Oil

In a recipe newsletter recently, we were talking about light olive oil and one lady said that a lot of the light olive oil available is not pure olive oil, but has other oils mixed in to mask the olive taste. Is this true? I've never heard of this before, but I'd like to know because I use light olive oil.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

if it is mixed with other oils it has to be labled as such. Blends do exist. But light olive oil is the 3rd pressing.

extra virgin, pure, light, pumace. only the extra virgin is a first pressing without heat or chemical agents.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'm with Robo - if it says 100% olive oil on the label - that's what you're getting - 100% olive oil. Light is, I think, generally from the the 4th pressing - and isn't going to have very much, if any, olive flavor. The big difference between "Pure" and "Light" is going to be the acid content - if I remember right.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

It's not light in fat or calories. It has the same amount as other oils.

It's been refined thorough heat and chemicals to remove most of the taste and color.

It's not a formal grade of olive oil (eg, extra virgin, vigin, pure) so I suppose it could contain other oils. But if so, I agree with Robo that it would be so labeled.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Senior Cook

"Light" refers to the oil's color and mildness of flavor, not its calorie count (all olive oils are 100 percent fat and contain about 115 calories per tablespoon). Made with an extremely fine filtration process, light olive oil has a more neutral flavor and is the perfect choice when preparing baked goods. You can also use light olive oil for sautéing or browning in recipes in which you don't want the oil to impart its flavor to the dish.
For salad dressings and other recipes in which you do want the oil's characteristic flavor, reach for the more pungent extra-virgin oil. It is made from the first pressing of the olives, with no filtering, and it is the fruitiest (and deepest colored) of the olive oils.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Another consideration is that light and extra-light olive oils have a higher smoke point than more flavour-concentrated types. This makes them more suitable for deep-frying and high-temperature pan-frying if you were so inclined.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

The ingredient label on the Walmart brand of light olive oil just says "olive oil", so I assume it is 100% olive oil?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseofSharon
The ingredient label on the Walmart brand of light olive oil just says "olive oil", so I assume it is 100% olive oil?

Yup! That's exactly right.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
Master Chef

I think that light olive oil is from later pressings, and it is really meant to have less olive flavor. Remember that grease is grease, as others have mentioned, if it is oil it has about the same calorie and oil count as any other oil. The light refers to the flavor. 'Though it shocks me, some don't like the flavor of olive oil. The "lite" is meant for those who want the health benefits without the flavor. Woe is me.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseofSharon
i remember an expose' on olive oils... from the most expensive in italy to the wal-mart brand.

the panel of judges, critics, etc. could NOT tell any difference in quality as related to price... NONE of them. the wal-mart brand did just as good as the others in taste, etc.

the ONLY oil that proved to be somewhat different was the Bertolli brand... it had a higher smoke point or something.