"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I have a package that has two small octopus in it. Not sure yet what I am going to put in there but do you have advice on cooking time/temp?
I haven't done octopus, but I have Keller's book, Myrhrvold's book, and a couple of others. Based on what I see in those, I'd try 170F for about 6-7 hours. There's the option to crank it up a bit to 180F for about 5 hours, but I don't see the 2 hours as a time savings. It's just inactive time, so I'd go for the lower & slower.

For anyone unfamiliar with those chefs:
Thomas Keller of The French Laundry wrote Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide.
Nathan Myrhvold of Modernist Cuisine fame also wrote Modernist Cuisine at Home, which is the one I have. (In my dreams I own the original Modernist Cuisine.)

Quote:
NAchef

For those that have been cooking this way for awhile, what are some things you have cooked that have turned out the best or that you would not want to cook another way again?
Seafood...........I have never had better seafood by any method than sous vide. I don't think I'll ever cook any fish or shellfish any other way again.

Beef................Absolutely perfect every time. Just have a screaming hot cast iron skillet or a good torch ready. Even hamburgers can't get better than this. If anyone wants to try burgers, I'll let you in on my trick for the picture perfect burger. I haven't cooked beef any other way in months (except for summertime grilling).

Vegetables........The flavors are fantastic. No water-logged or diluted flavors. Carrots taste like the essence of a carrot.

Chicken...duck...pork...I can go on and on. I probably cook sous vide 3-4 times per week. I go out once or twice a week. That just leaves a time or two for more traditional methods. My style of cooking for 40 years has been primarily sear - saute - deglaze - sauce. Now my go-to is sous vide.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I haven't done octopus, but I have Keller's book, Myrhrvold's book, and a couple of others. Based on what I see in those, I'd try 170F for about 6-7 hours. There's the option to crank it up a bit to 180F for about 5 hours, but I don't see the 2 hours as a time savings. It's just inactive time, so I'd go for the lower & slower.
That's the numbers I was looking at. These aren't very big, two came in the package and I will bag them separately. I might even do different preparations on them. Mayhaps one spicy and one not.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
For those that have been cooking this way for awhile, what are some things you have cooked that have turned out the best or that you would not want to cook another way again?
Best was a 1/2 pound hamburger made with grass feed beef. You would not belive how good good a hamburger can be. Just do not vacuum seal them or you will smash it.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #14
Master Chef

What a wonderful gift Frank! After reading all these responses I'm very interested. I've been interested in this method before now, but resisted spending the big bucks, not to mention counter space for a machine.
This looks great!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Best was a 1/2 pound hamburger made with grass feed beef. You would not belive how good good a hamburger can be. Just do not vacuum seal them or you will smash it.
Doesn't stuff float if you don't get all the air out?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
Head Chef

Hi Silver,
The corned beef 160 x 36. Would you share with us?
Did you buy the corned beef at the gro or did you make it
your self, What was the texture like? and did it shrink as
much as they normally do.

Thanks
Josie
Old 01-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What a wonderful gift Frank! After reading all these responses I'm very interested. I've been interested in this method before now, but resisted spending the big bucks, not to mention counter space for a machine.
This looks great!
Kayelle,
The one that Frank has and the one that I have, Clips on a pot or a plastic tub. You don't have to have a big machine in your way. This is one of the reasons why I bought the Poly Science one. I am not saying that one is better than the other, Just a feature that I wanted.

Josie
Old 01-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have two packages set up with octopus ready for the pot. The water is heating right now.

EVOO, lemon and Herbs de Provence

EVOO, lemon, crushed red pepper, paprika (smoked and sweet), garlic

I plan on 170F for 7 hours.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #19
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I just wanted to follow up with this.

We ate the Herbs de Provence one already. It was flavorful and very tender. Extremely tender, but not falling apart mushy.

The other one is in the fridge and I will likely put it on a salad tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Must one have a vacuum sealer to use this method? I too am very interested in this.

My culinary journeys of late are just repeats and far from exciting. I need something new and fresh to try.
Not to mention it looks like a very healthy way to prepare food.

Can multiple foods be prepared/cooked at once? Lets say meat and vegetable for dinner. Can I do both at the same time?