Low Temp/Sous Vide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of sources indicate you don't need a sealer for this. You can use the displacement method to remove air from the bag and use proper ziplock bags (not the slide ones).

I have not tried it, though one would think you couldn't actually do sous vide without a vacuum sealer as it means "under vacuum". :)

Different foods may cook at different temperatures. Meats and vegetables are vastly different so unless you like your meat WELL done (or more) it might not work. Though I have seen some recipes for stews with meat and veggies so who knows.

I would recommend a food saver. I was very skeptical of them when we got ours. After breaking down and using it I have come to be a believer in them. Food stays good in the freezer forever. I am thrilled.

A lot of sources indicate you don't need a sealer for this. You can use the displacement method to remove air from the bag and use proper ziplock bags (not the slide ones).

I have not tried it, though one would think you couldn't actually do sous vide without a vacuum sealer as it means "under vacuum". :)

Different foods may cook at different temperatures. Meats and vegetables are vastly different so unless you like your meat WELL done (or more) it might not work. Though I have seen some recipes for stews with meat and veggies so who knows.

I would recommend a food saver. I was very skeptical of them when we got ours. After breaking down and using it I have come to be a believer in them. Food stays good in the freezer forever. I am thrilled.

Thanks Frank.
In one of my silly moods I gave my food saver machine to my sister. I also gave her my upright freezer. I wish I had both back now.

I understand the newer vacuum systems are adjustable as to vacuum pulled/achieved? Is this correct?
For example, I understand now you could vacuum lightly a loaf of bread and seal it?

Anyway, it looks as if I will buy another sealer (Food Saver) and the Sous Vide machine.
Should I buy locally or shop online?

I do appreciate your help!.............John

Last edited:
My model has two buttons. One is "Dry/Moist" and the other is "Normal/Gentle" There is also a stop button. I set to the gentle and moist then watch it. When the liquid starts to go up I hit stop and it starts the seal cycle.

I might order the "liquid blocker" bags and give them a go.

As far as where to shop, I order so many things online now it isn't funny. I hate running around town and I really hate going into a brick and mortar and having them say "We can order that for you".

Best was a 1/2 pound hamburger made with grass feed beef. You would not belive how good good a hamburger can be. Just do not vacuum seal them or you will smash it.

Actually, I've found a great way to vacuum seal a burger. Mix your burger lightly with salt & pepper. Loosely pack it into a silicone egg ring like this. Just pop the metal handle off. I find about 6 ounces of meat is perfect in this. Slip the entire thing, ring and all, into a FS bag, and vacuum seal just until you start to see the juices start to run. Hit Stop and seal. I like these between rare and mid-rare. 130 is my sweet spot. 30 minutes to an hour.

Doesn't stuff float if you don't get all the air out?

Yes, it can. That's why it's better to vacuum seal.

Hi Silver,
The corned beef 160 x 36. Would you share with us?
Did you buy the corned beef at the gro or did you make it
your self, What was the texture like? and did it shrink as
much as they normally do.

Thanks
Josie

I did not corn my own brisket, but next time I may try that. I have never liked boiled corned beef. I usually roast it. This had the very intense flavor of a roasted meat instead of that flavorless, stringy, dried out yet watery stuff that people make on St. Padraig's Day. (I'm just warming up for my March 17th soapbox.) It still does give up a lot of liquid, but not as much as a boiled brisket.

Must one have a vacuum sealer to use this method? I too am very interested in this.

Can multiple foods be prepared/cooked at once? Lets say meat and vegetable for dinner. Can I do both at the same time?

You don't have to have a vacuum sealer, but it's difficult to get the air out AND get a watertight seal without one. Since the sealer will save you lots of money if you buy meats on sale & in bulk, I don't even think of it as a cost of the sous vide process. It's just utilizing a multi-tasker.

Doing different foods in one bath can be done, but it takes a lot of planning. You dont' actually do them at the same time - you sort of overlap them. Most all veggies cook at 180F, and take a few hours. Most proteins cook between 120 & 160, depending on the cut and the doneness desired. However, unlike regular cooking, you don't have to pull something of the heat to avoid overcooking. If a steak is done in an hour, it can actual sit in the bath for 2 or 3 or even 4 without overcooking. Eventually, it will begin to over-soften to the point of getting somewhat mushy, but it will never cook beyond the temp you set.

Since most single cut meats & fish are only 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch think, they cook from 15 minutes to an hour of two. That's not too long to hold the veg. So...set the water at 180F and cook the veg for as long as necessary. Then drop the temp of you bath to your meat temp ( by swapping some cold water for the hot) and add the protein in for it's allotted time The veg stays reasonably hot while the fish/chicken/beef cooks.

My model has two buttons. One is "Dry/Moist" and the other is "Normal/Gentle" There is also a stop button. I set to the gentle and moist then watch it. When the liquid starts to go up I hit stop and it starts the seal cycle.

I had one like Frank describes. But when I got my Sous Vide Supreme, I also receive their basic model vacuum sealer. I found with the 'stop' button, I could get as much control over the suction as I could with all the settings on my fancy FS model. So I kept the smaller, simpler one (which takes up less counter real estate) and sold my fancy one on Craigslist for $60.

Yes but you can weight them down. A few days ago I did 3 and used a chopstick to keep them from popping out of the rack.

If the bag isn't vacuumed, doesn't the air trapped in the bag insulate the food from the hot water, effecting the cooking time?

If the bag isn't vacuumed, doesn't the air trapped in the bag insulate the food from the hot water, effecting the cooking time?

The air still gets hot and transfers the heat to the food. The time difference for a small amount of air is no big deal.

Yes but you can weight them down. A few days ago I did 3 and used a chopstick to keep them from popping out of the rack.

The air still gets hot and transfers the heat to the food. The time difference for a small amount of air is no big deal.

Sometimes the devil is in the details. When we cook, we often substitute for ingredients that we don't have. We cook in advance and reheat later. We we find a different method to substitute for equipment we may not have. We change up details all the time. Some of those changes have noticeable differences and some only minor. Add two or more changes and eventually you have a different dish. None is right or wrong - just different.

In order to take full advantage of the Sous Vide technique and equipment, it should be vacuum packaged. But some dishes will work by using a chopstick.

For me, I like the perfect burger, so I invested in half dozen egg rings. I can cook up a batch of burgers that look like they belong on a magazine cover, and are so moist the juices run down your chin.

Seems Sous Vide is all the rage. Very popular.
Rachael Ray had a show on Gadgets today and the immersion type Sous Vide machine was featured and was highly recommended. Both chefs liked the product.
Kinda funny as i rarely watch RR.

Then I ran across a FoodSaver V2461 machine in the Costco connection magazine for $49.99. I cannot find more info on this particular model. Not even at costco.com or FoodSaver.

Here is the link to the sale page. The Costco Connection - January 2014
I am hoping someone can tell me more about the sealing machine itself and about the quality.
I am terrible about buying stuff, then losing interest and it just sits. Ask my wife about all the stuff in our pantry and cabinets.
I want to be certain I want to do this. (Sous Vide) I want the vacuum sealer to be manual so I can adjust vacuum, like when sealing a loaf of bread. I am not certain this sealer has that capability.

I am fairly certain I would use the sealing machine regardless if I purchase the sous vide.

Also, do all the sealing machines come in the same width?

Last edited:
I am not certain a manual vs automatic matters for this. The automatic ones have a stop button, so I suppose they can be semi-manual as well.

As far as I know they all accommodate the 11 inch wide bags (except the hand held tool). I wouldn't get starry eyed over the extra features though, like the marinating bit, or the canisters.

Here are my two biggest issues with my food saver (I am not sure the model, I can find it later).

1) Wet stuff. This is an issue with all channel bag sealers. The gentle and moist settings seem to help, but I still have to hit the stop button before it sucks out all the liquid.

2) Speed. When I am in the groove I can go too fast. After 8-10 straight double ended seals (using a roll not premade bags) I have to start waiting for the machine because it gets too hot and it will make you wait.

I saw one of the very spendy ($400ish) FoodSavers mention 100 seals in a row. That would be nice. I think I would rather go chamber sealer once we get above $150, but I wouldn't want to be soley reliant on a chamber sealer. I sealed two whole geese today and one was a big un.

Thanks Frank.
I doubt I would need to concern myself with speed. As the vacuum sealer will be used mainly for storing foods that I bring home in bulk. I would be in no hurry.

If you were to hang the food bag over your counter so the liquids were down in the bag, would that help with the machines sucking up the liquids? Just a guess.

I need to do some checking on this sealer. I want to make sure its generic as far as bags go. I understand these rolls and bags can be quite expensive? Seems rolls would be best for me. I did see some good buys on Amazon for rolls.
Are all the bags and rolls equal? Or is the brand name required?

I am intrigued with the Sous Vide application. Intrigued is the key word. I don't want to spend $200.00 on one to use it a couple times.
But, I do see many dishes that can be made with this technology.
I still do not fully comprehend/get the pictures above with rare meat? Since we were all taught high and fast on stuff like burgers and steaks.

This is very new to me. Sous Vide.

Last edited:
The speed issue seems mostly trivial but when you are repackaging something, say wings, and you have 10 or 15 packages you want to get done it is annoying. I had 26 packs of ground meat to package up and the wait was frustrating. It isn't a show stopper, but it doesn't help the cause.

I bought bulk rolls from some place. Addie posted a link and I used them. It was WAY cheaper than buying the FoodSaver brand bags. FoodSaver will tell you their bags are better, and they might be, but they can be very proud of them.

I was intrigued as well. I wasn't going to spend the money. But someone was nice enough to think I might like it for Christmas. I have been enjoying trying things thus far.

I am intrigued with the Sous Vide application. Intrigued is the key word. I don't want to spend $200.00 on one to use it a couple times.
But, I do see many dishes that can be made with this technology.

If You just want to try sous vide try this. Cook Your Meat in a Beer Cooler: The World's Best (and Cheapest) Sous-Vide Hack | Serious Eats
Its a little more work and the control is not precise but it works.

I still do not fully comprehend/get the pictures above with rare meat? Since we were all taught high and fast on stuff like burgers and steaks.

Not everything I have been taught has been correct. Meat cooked for a long time at lower temps is pasteurized.

The shrimp turned out great. It was firm but not tough. Not at all squishy. It had bite like a natural sausage casing gives a sausage. That snap, but not as pronounced.

They were wonderful and I have some for lunch tomorrow. :yum:

So, if I understand correctly, I can leave cooked food in the water bath for a while after it's done. Does that mean I could cook the vegis, lower the temperature and cook a well done steak, lower it some more and cook a rare steak, and I could leave the veg and the first steak while the rare steak was cooking?

Yes, you can do that, you may not want to though. Leaving items in too long can also have a negative effect. I read something the other week that stated if you leave items in too long it can turn out bad. I will try to find the test article and post it.

So, if I understand correctly, I can leave cooked food in the water bath for a while after it's done. Does that mean I could cook the vegis, lower the temperature and cook a well done steak, lower it some more and cook a rare steak, and I could leave the veg and the first steak while the rare steak was cooking?

You can do that. But after the veggies are do I have found it is best to take them out and put them in an ice batch and put them back in the water bath for a minute just before serving. As to doing an medium well steak then dropping the temp (add cold water) then doing a medium rare steak it works great.

Yes, you can do that, you may not want to though. Leaving items in too long can also have a negative effect. I read something the other week that stated if you leave items in too long it can turn out bad. I will try to find the test article and post it.

If cooked to long food can turn to mush.

For long cook times all of the bag should be under water. Where the bag has be contaminated with meat or juices it will grow bacteria. If that part of the bag is not under water you will have bacteria growing in a nice warm wet environment. Then when you take your food out of the bag you will mix it with the bacteria.

a great easy to follow guidie for sous vide can be found here: A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking

Back
Top Bottom