Low Temp/Sous Vide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the link PPO. I'm not ready to invest the time in reading a book about this. I'm still figuring out if sous vide cooking would be useful for me.

Had a chance to play around today. I picked up 4 carrots and some raw shrimp today.

Carrots I put a little olive oil in the bag and cooked at 194 F for about 25 min., the carrots were fairly large, we seasoned after with a little kosher salt. My wife loved them but we both agreed with the size of them they should have been in for another 10 min.

1 lb. shrimp with 2 tbls. butter, cooked at 138F for almost 30 min. ( I forgot the garlic as I wanted to do.) Texture was perfect!

I have a few events over the next month but I am going to try and try something different every w/e.

Had a chance to play around today. I picked up 4 carrots and some raw shrimp today.

Carrots I put a little olive oil in the bag and cooked at 194 F for about 25 min., the carrots were fairly large, we seasoned after with a little kosher salt. My wife loved them but we both agreed with the size of them they should have been in for another 10 min.

1 lb. shrimp with 2 tbls. butter, cooked at 138F for almost 30 min. ( I forgot the garlic as I wanted to do.) Texture was perfect!

I have a few events over the next month but I am going to try and try something different every w/e.

I really loved shrimp cooked with the sous vide. I'd love to try carrots. Especially if they are freshly picked!

I tried this recipe for Lemon Curd,
and it was awesome. I had never made it before
was so easy.
Sous Vide Lemon Curd - Cooking Sous Vide

Josie

That sounds absolutely amazing. I love Lemon Curd!

I want to try eggs in it. Where the temperature is hot enough to set the whites but not the yellow. Mmmmm.

Kathleen, I want to try that as well! I think the idea first came from ideasinfood.com to do the at 167 F or 75 C for 13 min. This is the next new thing I am trying out.

I just bought 2 cambro containers today with lids to use as the tub. Hope to get another circulator when I get to know what I am doing better.

75 C Egg - Sous Vide Recipe - ChefSteps - YouTube

I have been thinking about getting one of these for this. Not quite sure yet exactly what I want to do. Thank you for that link though.

I've lusted after a sous vide for a long time but it would really be impractical for me now. Wish I had had one long ago, though.

However I looked a one of the links posted in this thread and found a dessert that I'm really going to have to try: Iced Lemon Curd Mousse.

Scroll down to the recipe.Sous Vide Lemon Curd - Cooking Sous Vide

I love Lemon Curd!

I have a whole goose split in two packed and in the cooker. I put some apple juice with nutmeg and clove in the bags as well.

I had frozen the apple juice then when it thawed up some I blended it, it came out a little too thin but I think it thawed for too long. I was going for that thick frozen drink state. It helped with the vacuum process.

I have the timer set for 12 hours and the temp at 165F. We shall see how this goes. I have another whole goose in the freezer that may get done smoked out back. Too much snow in the way for that right now. We aren't supposed to see arctic conditions like this. Sheesh....

Earlier in the week Kathleen came home with some nice looking racks of lamb. Since the book listed 3ish hours for that we went ahead and cooked them that night (I think this was Monday). I did both racks and we got two nights out of them. They were nice, though they needed to be frenched better. The fat down the bone never rendered (as is expected) and was still solid white (even after searing in a CI pan.)

Last night, valentines, I did some salmon filets. 30 minutes at 140F. They turned out nicely. She suggested next time to reduce the temp. So I will likely use the next step down for them.

Tonight we are having duck, it is in the oven roasting. But I am doing the artichokes at 185F for about an hour. The water bath is heating.

I am still pondering the purchase of the vacuum sealer. If i do replace the sealer I gave away, I may just buy the immersion type sous vide.

I did the salmon using zip lock freezer bags and the water displacement method. It seemed to do fine.

I made spatchcocked game hens today. 6:30 in the pot at 155F. The white meat might have been just a tad overdone, the dark was good.

The tablet in the kitchen takes horrible pictures.

Attachments

• 2014-03-09 19.46.34.jpg
    2014-03-09 19.46.34.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 252
I made spatchcocked game hens today. 6:30 in the pot at 155F. The white meat might have been just a tad overdone, the dark was good.

The tablet in the kitchen takes horrible pictures.

Oh, I dunno. Looks great to me! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom