Making A Grilled Cheese Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am also in the butter the bread camp. I cook mine on med-low, because I find the lower temp browns the bread more evenly, and it gives the cheese more time to heat up. They turn out splotchier on higher temps. I use a cast iron pan, which I think works great for just about everything, but with a regular nonstick skillet you might want to have the heat closer to medium.

From watching your Food network TV I now realise a grilled cheese sandwich is made on a skillet. I had never used this method, I then saw a cook splitting a french stick length ways and turning it inside out so the crust is in the middle, putting the cheese ect in the middle then frying it on the "flat top" with butter and placing a brick covered with foil on top to flatten, it was fab!

I heat a 2 burner CI griddle along with a CI skillet, toast one side of the bread, flip it and add the cheese, very thinly sliced to the toasted side, use the skillet as a press. Medium heat and lots of butter.

I also used a toaster oven and it turned out quite nicely. Just as good as one fried in a pan. A yummy thing to add, cream cheese in there:).

I also used a toaster oven and it turned out quite nicely. Just as good as one fried in a pan. A yummy thing to add, cream cheese in there:).

I like to do that too. No greasy fingers or chin. I like to make toasted ham and cheese that way. Ham on one side of the bread and cheese on the other, with mayo of course.

Toasted cream cheese and liverwurst. YUM!

I am also in the butter the bread camp. I cook mine on med-low, because I find the lower temp browns the bread more evenly, and it gives the cheese more time to heat up. They turn out splotchier on higher temps. I use a cast iron pan, which I think works great for just about everything, but with a regular nonstick skillet you might want to have the heat closer to medium.

I agree with buttering the bread and med heat. I'd like to add this:

I put one slice of buttered bread in the pan and let that slice get nice and toasted up before adding cheese and the second piece of buttered bread.
The moisture in the bread is allowed to steam off, allowing the side down to get grilled/crunchy nice. A light spreading of mayo after adding the cheesee adds to the overall flavor.
I move the sandwich to a napkin on the serving plate to keep condensation from softening the hot crispness.

I like to have Campbell's Beef Noodle Soup (hard to find on shelves now) or Tomato soup, sweet pickle chips and some saltine crackers to go with it.

Last edited:
I didn't read the whole thread--but what I do is put the bread in the skillet first and start toasting it without cheese--and I do use butter but that is because I always use butter <g>. When the bread is about 1/3 - 1/2 toasted, I add the cheese. I usually use grated cheese. Once I've put the cheese on, I flip the two slices together to make a sandwich, drop the heat a bit, and wait for the cheese to melt...works for me.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are serious business, no time to be counting calories ;). I liberally butter one side and mayo the inside, slap extra sharp unprocessed cheese (sometimes both swiss and cheddar) in between...don't scrimp, brown it in a hot skillet (non-stick and cast-iron work equally well for me) until extra crispy golden brown on the outside and gooey on the inside.

Then I open it up and stuff juicy red slices of heirloom tomatoes, avocado, and arugula or sprouts inside (my favorite is pea shoots). A little fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground pepper......yum!
(Trader Joe's sells killer Heirloom Kumato Tomatoes year round)

Let's see, grilling toast and melting cheese... :dry:

1. Butter two slices of bread.
2. Put cheese between them, butter side out.
3. Grill in a medium hot skillet, flipping halfway through whenever the bread turns golden brown. (No leaving the skillet, peeking is permitted.)
4. Eat.

Note: Cheese that overhangs the sides of the bread is OK. Directly grilled and melted cheese is a good thing. It adds a tasty and crunchy nugget of flavor.

Although I also usually make it in a skillet, the broiler makes a great sandwich with a slightly different texture. It's very good.

Slice 2 slices of good bread.
Pile cheese on one slice.
Place both on a sheet and under the broiler until the naked bread is golden and the cheese side is melted.
Put the toasted bread on top of the cheese and flip the sandwich.
Broil the other side until golden.
Spread butter on the outsides of the sandwich and serve.

:LOL: Bolas, you're killin' me today...still laughing at the Shakespeare quote.

NAchef...Bolas is right, your link IS the Holy Grail of Grilled Cheese. Thank you for that Grilled Cheese Academy link! The 30 photos that you click on at the very bottom of the page are beeeeutiful and perfect for this visual learner! Like the narrator said, my tummy is smiling :)

I like to spray the outside with buttery spray (less greasy), after filling with cheese and mayo.

I also like to use sliced tomato and/or several slices of bacon if I'm feeling really hungry.

It can also be made in the toaster oven with cheese on both sides and no butter or spray.

Let's see, grilling toast and melting cheese... :dry:

1. Butter two slices of bread.
2. Put cheese between them, butter side out.
3. Grill in a medium hot skillet, flipping halfway through whenever the bread turns golden brown. (No leaving the skillet, peeking is permitted.)
4. Eat.

Note: Cheese that overhangs the sides of the bread is OK. Directly grilled and melted cheese is a good thing. It adds a tasty and crunchy nugget of flavor.

Low-carb Grilled Cheese...apply cheese directly to heated pan...takes a little bit of getting used to:pig:

There are a lot of suggestions and methods here that it's hard to choose which to use. I feel like my grilled cheese is very good - I usually don't like anyone else's. Here's my method:

-Using an 8" non-stick pan at medium heat (medium heat is crucial so you can melt the cheese without burning the bread too fast)
-Two pieces of cheese between to LIGHT pieces of bread - wheat and whole wheat take far too long to brown.
-Butter one side of the sandwich and melt a tablespoon of butter in the pan.
-While the butter is melting, place your sandwich unbuttered side down on top of the melting butter.
-If the heat it low enough it should take about 4 minutes for side one to be done. You can lift up the side of the sandwich and check for doneness.
-Flip it when you think you're ready. When you flip, if the first side is not done enough for your liking, you can flip it back down once side two has been cooking for a minute or so.

Sounds a little indepth for grilled cheese but good grilled cheese goes a long way. Adding stuff inside the sandwich is fun, too!

Back
Top Bottom