"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Bump for Taxy.
Thanks Pac.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I want to make pizza today for a dinner, making the dough from scratch. I have see several recipes for the dough and how to make it using a stand mixer but there is a vague ingredient in the recipe "let rise". My apartment is does not have central heating so the temperature varies greatly from place to place. If I am making a pound of dough and room temperature is 60 degrees, for example, how long will it take to rise? how much of a difference if it is 55 degrees?
Bread making is not a very precise science. I made pizza yesterday in my unheated kitchen and it took about an hour for the first rise. I made another today in the same conditions to the same recipe with flour, yeast, etc., from the same packets and it took all afternoon!

It also depends on the temperature of the liquid in the mix. I have always used warm water but there have been a lot of cooks on television lately saying that it's OK to use cold - not in my world it isn't but you pays your money and you takes your chance.

Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I let my dough rise also in my oven. Only I put the oven light on and it gives off enough heat to help the dough rise.
I do the same. If its winter, I turn the oven on warm for about 1 minute, then off first. Just to give it some help. The lamp is plenty warm after that.

When I made the Giordano's pizza the other week I let it rise in the all day refrigerator. It was the best pizza dough I've ever made. Real easy to roll out and work with.
Bump for Taxy.
I never had any luck rolling out any dough that was cold except pastry doughs.
I learned to bring the dough to room temp or higher before attempting to do anything with it.
It is much more manageable when its not cold. Much more manageable.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
We must have opposite techniqies, Bones, but it may have been the amount of oil in the recipe that was making it so easy compared to my previous room temp efforts.

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote

dough, temperature