Making dough, letting rise, and temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I want to make pizza today for a dinner, making the dough from scratch. I have see several recipes for the dough and how to make it using a stand mixer but there is a vague ingredient in the recipe "let rise". My apartment is does not have central heating so the temperature varies greatly from place to place. If I am making a pound of dough and room temperature is 60 degrees, for example, how long will it take to rise? how much of a difference if it is 55 degrees?

If you have a microwave, you can let it rise in there. Take a cup of water and heat it to boiling; this will warm up the atmosphere inside the microwave. Cover the bowl your dough is in and put it in the microwave to rise.

Along the same lines as GotGarlic. I put large roasting pan of hot water in bottom of my turned OFF oven. I let it sit for about 15 minutes the change water with fresh hot water. I place dough in my bowl and cover with plastic wrap or waxed paper then a heavy bath towel. I place the covered bowl on the rack above the hot water, close door and let rise.

I let my dough rise also in my oven. Only I put the oven light on and it gives off enough heat to help the dough rise. :angel:

I have used the TV cabinet upstairs. The electronics in there put off enough heat while "off" to do the trick.

When I made the Giordano's pizza the other week I let it rise in the all day refrigerator. It was the best pizza dough I've ever made. Real easy to roll out and work with.

When I made the Giordano's pizza the other week I let it rise in the all day refrigerator. It was the best pizza dough I've ever made. Real easy to roll out and work with.
Did you let the dough come to room temperature before you rolled it out?

You want to let it rise until it is doubled, this is not a specific time.

I often buy my pizza dough from a local bakery and let it rise in the fridge, roll out cold.

I want to make pizza today for a dinner, making the dough from scratch. I have see several recipes for the dough and how to make it using a stand mixer but there is a vague ingredient in the recipe "let rise". My apartment is does not have central heating so the temperature varies greatly from place to place. If I am making a pound of dough and room temperature is 60 degrees, for example, how long will it take to rise? how much of a difference if it is 55 degrees?
Bread making is not a very precise science. I made pizza yesterday in my unheated kitchen and it took about an hour for the first rise. I made another today in the same conditions to the same recipe with flour, yeast, etc., from the same packets and it took all afternoon!

It also depends on the temperature of the liquid in the mix. I have always used warm water but there have been a lot of cooks on television lately saying that it's OK to use cold - not in my world it isn't but you pays your money and you takes your chance.

I let my dough rise also in my oven. Only I put the oven light on and it gives off enough heat to help the dough rise. :angel:

I do the same. If its winter, I turn the oven on warm for about 1 minute, then off first. Just to give it some help. The lamp is plenty warm after that.

Bump for Taxy.

I never had any luck rolling out any dough that was cold except pastry doughs.
I learned to bring the dough to room temp or higher before attempting to do anything with it.
It is much more manageable when its not cold. Much more manageable.

Last edited:
We must have opposite techniqies, Bones, but it may have been the amount of oil in the recipe that was making it so easy compared to my previous room temp efforts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom