Making Sausages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
I'm about to venture in to the world of making my own sausages and I was wondering if anybody had some killer recipes that they would kindly share, beef, chicken or pork. I thought beef and bacon sounded pretty good but after that I'm stumped. Other than the meat is there another filling I should add because I feel that if I made them with just pure meat they could be a bit chewy, don't know?

I have been warned by my good wife that if something goes wrong this time it will be my turn to clean up the kitchen so we had better get it right, God she's got a good memory, I must have made a mess for her to remember something that happened some thirty years ago. :rolleyes:

Sasauge making is fun. We ate the last of the homemade Italian sausages last night, so when I dig out our recipes, I'll send you some.

I think a recipe for sausage is purely personal choice. I have tweaked a recipe for my tastes and leave out some the logical herbs and spices. I also use an extremely lean meat and it is not chewy. I do need to add oil to the pan when cooking though. But adding bacon/fat is not necessary for excellent sausages.

Back again, I haven't made any yet, still negotiating with the wife.:ermm:

I found this/ these recipes but would like an opinion first, might be a bit spicy??

You need:
Basic Ingridients.
5kg pork
1 kg back fat (Ask butcher to mince coarse)
Total 6kg

Hog runners.

Chang Mie
1 cup red curry paste
6 garlic cloves chopped/minced
1 cup ginger
½ cup tamarind paste
½ cup fish sauce
½ cup finally chopped chilli
Salt and pepper to taste

chorizos
1 cup red curry paste
6 garlic cloves chopped/minced
1/2 cup of yellow mustard seeds
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
Method:
Mix either recipe thoroughly into the course mince, keep cold at all times.
Get some hog runners from the butcher. Fill them up using a sausage mincer or an attachment on a mix master or hand fill with a piping bag and a plane large nozzle no7 or 8 these can be obtained from Aafura catering at Parap

The flavor of great sausage usually comes from having enough fat, but which fat and beyond that, what seasonings or flavors you use is up to you. While certainly not a refined as a pate' or the like, sausage is still a forcemeat; basically a meat emulsion. Whether you're talking ceasar salad dressing, hollandaise, or sausage, the one thing that always makes a good emulsion is the proper amount of fat.

Question about grinding the meat...
I have an old Enterprise grinder, hand crank.
Is there a special attachment for those old grinders
needed for sausage making?
As in how does it go into the casing?

I'm about to venture in to the world of making my own sausages and I was wondering if anybody had some killer recipes that they would kindly share, beef, chicken or pork. I thought beef and bacon sounded pretty good but after that I'm stumped. Other than the meat is there another filling I should add because I feel that if I made them with just pure meat they could be a bit chewy, don't know?

I have been warned by my good wife that if something goes wrong this time it will be my turn to clean up the kitchen so we had better get it right, God she's got a good memory, I must have made a mess for her to remember something that happened some thirty years ago. :rolleyes:

Hi Attie,

There are some specific web site which deal with making sausages and if you google for them you should be able to find them and they will be very helpful for you.

Regards,
Archiduc

I usually make my own sausage with my Kitchaide. I get about a 10 pound pork butt and debone it. I cut it into strips and run it through the meat grinder attachment with the course blade then rerun it through using the fine blade. I have found that it makes a much smoother grind this way. Then I use a seasoning packet I buy at the butcher shop and season the meat. Then stuff it in the natual casings. I like to make my own so I can control the fat content and seasonings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom