Marinate then freeze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whyknot

Assistant Cook
I marinaded some venison tenderlions overnight and will not be able to cook them today. Is it o.k. to freeze them now? If it is should I freeze them in the marinade? I am not much of a cook and you could probably tell by this question.

Thank you for the info. I have a feeling you people will help with alot of stupid questions..lol

I did that not to long ago. I had flank steaks marinating and then something came up that I wasn't going to use them I froze them and used them at a later date. Everything was fine.

I had never thought of doing that but it's a great idea for chicken.

See, no stupid questions because what you think might be "stupid" leads someone else to a great idea.

The only stupid/dumb question that I know of is when a man looks at his wife, who is obviously miffed, and asks, "What did I do?" :wacko:

Glad you joined our family and hope you enjoy it here! Remember - we all have questions about things - and this is the best bunch of people I know of to help you find an answer.

FYI, if I have something marinading I consider it good for another day or so anyway, IF you don't mind a strong flavor.

I shoul say it depends on the marinade. Salt, sugar, acid, oil and alcohol are all not-so-friendly to bacteria. If you marinade the loins in, let's say, red wine and some salt than you're ok for at least a couple days. Anything beyond that should be frozen.

I made venison just a couple nights ago. Beautiful stuff, and even better when you harvest it yourself.

-Stooxie

OK... here is another 'stupid' question.... if you thaw meat, marinate it, then something comes up and your preperation of the meat is delayed, can you refreeze???? I know you can't or should not do that with meat, but was not sure if marinating made any difference in that.

OK... here is another 'stupid' question.... if you thaw meat, marinate it, then something comes up and your preperation of the meat is delayed, can you refreeze???? I know you can't or should not do that with meat, but was not sure if marinating made any difference in that.

Yes, you can, as long as you defrosted the meat properly (in the fridge, not on the counter). Refreezing is more about texture damage. Every freeze/thaw cycle creates ice crystals. These crystals cause damage to the muscle cells, which can change the meat's texture.

Back
Top Bottom