Masa Harina- AGAIN!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DisplacedTexan

Assistant Cook
I have searched through several old threads on here regarding Masa Harina and have not found an answer to my question. Mainly they are just filled with people translating what the words mean.

I am originally from Texas and could find this anywhere there, but now live in the northeast and cannot find it (yes, I checked WalMart). Our local grocery store has an extensive collection of Goya products and I found something called Harina de Maiz and was wondering if it is the same thing. There were two kinds- one was course and one was fine. The recipe I need this for uses it as a thickener.

Thank you.

I used it to thicken white chicken chili the other day. It made the difference between "ok" and "outstanding". :yum:

Welcome to DC Texan, we hope you stick around and let us know what's cooking! :chef:

Masa Harina is a common term, so common that the peculiarity of literal meaning is subservient to the common usage. Masa harina is essentially saying "dough flour." I suspect it's a very old term among people who didn't see wheat flour, so their dough was always corn. So harina de maiz is just corn flour. same as masa harina. More than that, it's flour of corn that's been treated with lime water as for hominy, the process that improves the nutrient value and prevents the pelagra that afflicts people who live on untreated corn. The single word, masa, in the Southwest, is taken to mean the flour. Corn tortillas can be made from either the course of the fine, but the fine is most often used in tortillas and the course, which is closer to corn meal, in commercial tortilla chips, crisp taco shells, casseroles, and such where more substance is desired.

Nothing like a fresh corn tortilla just off the griddle lubricated with lard.

Me living in Southern California I find it mind boggling that you wouldn't find masa harina in every market! (I've lived such a sheltered life!)

I always think of and use masa harina to thicken chili. I've also used it to make my own tortillas (mixed results) and tamales. Don't forget the lard.

Back
Top Bottom