Master Cook 9 trick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This probably isn't new to many of you, but it was for me. So for the rest of you, who sometimes need to have a joke explained like me:ermm: .....,here it is.

When you scale your recipes and you get an amount like 28 teaspoons or such, convert to metric, then back to U.S.. It will turn the measurement to equivlent tablespoons, cups, etc.:rolleyes:

silvercliff_46 said:
When you scale your recipes and you get an amount like 28 teaspoons or such, convert to metric, then back to U.S.. It will turn the measurement to equivlent tablespoons, cups, etc.

What? Scale them how? Do you have some sort of calculator?

Why convert to metric first? All you need to know are a few simple facts:

1 cup = 8 fluid ounces (i.e., volume ounces, not weight ounces)
1 fluid ounce = 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons

Thus

1 cup = 16 Tablespoons = 48 teaspoons
1 ounce = 6 teaspoons

In your example, 28 teaspoons divided by 48 = 28/48 = .58 of a cup.

It's just simple arithmetic -- what am I missing here? :unsure:

Yup I can scale them FryBoy. If I have a recipe in my MC9 and I want to increase or decrease serving amounts I simply tell it how many servings I want. It then scales the recipe, however it will increase the ingredient portions by the unit that is there. I.E. 4 Tablespoons to 16 (which we all know = 1 cup) Rather then go through the entire recipe recalculating measurements, I simply do an auto convert to metric and back to U.S.. It takes just a few clicks and all of the measurements are recalculated.

While it might be a few simple calcs it can take awhile in an extensive recipe. I chose to give up manuel calcs the same way I gave up pencils for computers, but that's just me.

I'm afraid I still don't know what you're talking about.

WHAT do you use to "scale" recipes? What it the "it" you're telling to do this?

Sorry for being so dense.

Doug, it's a computer cookbook program. It does a lot of functions easily and quickly.

I guess if you don't own the software it is hard to understand.

MasterCook 9 is the 9th version of the MasterCook software. A widely used eletronic cook book that allows you to input recipes from your key board, harvest recipes on the fly while viewing sites on the Internet, or giving you the ability to scan in recipes from books or magazines.

The software has a feature that allows you to "Scale" recipes to any amount you desire.

For example if one of your favorite recipes makes six servings and you want to make that recipe for a church social, party, or catering, that has say 75 people, you can scale a recipe up from 6 servings to seventy five servings. The problem is in Master Cook it will scale the recipe in the original recipe AMOUNTS given. As in the former example 4 tablespoons to 16 tablespoons. You and I both know that 16 Tablespoons equal one cup(61 tablespoons takes longer). However if you have an extensive recipe list and you want to simplify the recipe measurements you will have to convert each measurement by hand. By using the suggestion mentioned it is done to ALL ingredients instantly. This is especially nice if your catering and have varying amounts of people.

I titled the thread "Master Cook 9 Trick" refering to the software. If you don't own the software this thread is irrelevant for you.

This is about as clear as I can make it. I guess if you still are confused you will have to ask someone else.

It's great, even does nutritional analysis, meals (individual meals), Menus by the day, week month, nutritional analysis, allows multiple customized cookbooks, pantry lists, shopping lists and a whole lot more. Go to www.valuesoft.com The cost for it and they send you the disk is $20.00 bucks with shipping (at least when I bought it a few months ago.) and if you get it Billy J. Cotton is the expert on it.:rolleyes: don't let him kid you, he is!

Oh for crying out loud!! I have a lot of recipes from Argentina, New Zealand, Australia, etc.....in metric. I have them in MC9 - never thot of doing that....

Back
Top Bottom