"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Things having to do with science and chemistry, I always measure, anything else, I usually eyeball it. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's better, and sometimes not. I have had some additions to my compost pile through not measuring, tho. Did I say I have a wonerful compost pile?

Old 03-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

The one thing I have trouble eyeballing is liquid measurements of two cups or more. For some reason I do not trust myself with those. I can eyeball a quarter cup, but not 3 cups.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
When I do measure, I always go with weights not the volume. For example you can never be sure about the exact amount of flour when it was measured as "cup", also there is too often a question about tablespoon or tea spoon, is it supposed to be even or heaped? Which type of table(tea) spoon is it meant? I find weight is much more dependable as it eliminates all these uncertainties, and as I said, I only measure ingredients when the exact proportion is a crucial factor...
Old 03-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Great question! If the recipe is for a cake or souffle, for example, I will measure and follow the instructions to the T. If I am trying a recipe for the first time, I will follow the directions, as I think there is a purpose in achieving the end result. Of course, when it comes to ingredients like salt & pepper, cheese, garlic etc., etc., to taste - that is a matter of taste. I often sub ingredients for those I like, but keep in mind, you may need to adjust cooking time. Measuring, IMO, is a good thing, when trying a recipe for the first time. And if the recipe calls for a level tsp, tbl, etc, there is probably a good reason.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
If I'm baking ( which I hardly ever do) I measure EVERYTHING.

If I'm cooking... I just throw it all in.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

GB, you make me think too hard, now my brain is in overload. I guess I measure more than not, since you added that. I'm the same way. I guess my eyeballing is more to herbs and seasonings, rather than solid and liquid if it's more than 1/2 cup of stuff.
Scratch my first post then!! ;o)
Old 03-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #17
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
If I'm baking ( which I hardly ever do) I measure EVERYTHING.

If I'm cooking... I just throw it all in.
Yup... I do this too. Baking is more delicate and scientific.. the ratios need to be just right. Cooking is a lot more forgiving. (which is why I prefer cooking to baking )
Old 03-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
When I do measure, I always go with weights not the volume....
I think it is Europian thing, back in the old country majoruty of the recipes came with weight not cups.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamholt
I think I am a decent cook. Although, I measure everything. I lack that naturally cook - my dad has it but I don't trust myself enough not to measure.
Just because you measure doesn't mean you aren't a natural cook. I can eyeball a lot of things now, but I couldn't always do that. I still measure some things. Experience has helped with some measurements. For instance, I know half a jar of molasses and half a small bottle of soy sauce is perfect for my chop suey. As far as being a natural--I love to sew, and I am really good at it, if I have a pattern. I can make changes to it, but if I don't have a pattern, I can just forget it. But I feel I am a natural at sewing. Same with cooking--you can follow a recipe and still be a natural. Just experiment a little with different ingredients, spices, etc., and you can make a recipe your own. And if you like it the way it is, why monkey with it?

Barbara
Old 03-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #20
Head Chef

I measure some things, others I do by feel and taste. I've found that a LOT of recipes don't call for enough seasonings, at least for my taste, so I've learned from ending up with some rather bland dishes that I need to be a bit more aggressive.... I sort of tend to follow Emeril's advice and "Kick it up" a notch. But I also always cook with my 2 and 4 cup measuring cups handy, and my cheap set of metal measuring cups and spoons. They serve nicely as scoops as well as measurers, and often I just use them to help out my estimating ability.

As has been said... with baking you do need to measure or you can get wildly varying results.