Measurements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
So my recipe called for 1 tsp of red peppercorns.

and that was it - wha??? do I grind them? do I measure whole peppercorns? do I measure ground peppercorns? Is it 1 tsp whole? or 1 tsp ground?

The specific recipe was/is for a marinade. The marinade is actually quite mild very citrusy. I originally ground 1 tsp whole - then added another tsp whole.
Finally in the end I added a pinch of pepperoncini just like Lydia B would ;)

But I often find it confusing if the recipe's are not clear... as in...
1 cup pasta
1 cup rice
etc etc

pasta are all different sizes - 1 cup orzo is certainly not 1 cup macaroni!
uncooked rice is certainly a different measure than cooked. Ok, I admit that most rice recipes do specify cooked or uncooked - but I think you all get the hint and have been there before.

So what are your solutions?
52144-albums1053-picture6645.jpg

If the recipe is unclear you have to guess. There is clearly a difference between:

1 tsp Ground Red Peppercorns

and

1 tsp Red Peppercorns, ground

I always have an issue with ambiguous statements such as one small (or large) onion. Who's to judge if it's large medium or small? How about: 1 Cup of diced onion.

Fortunately, a little more onion or a little less usually doesn't make a difference in the finished recipe.

I struggle most with "1 Cup shredded cheese" packed or loosely measured?

Yep, it's kind of a guessing game. As far as the peppercorns for the marinade you mentioned, I would at least crush them a little. Hard to say without the volume of the rest of the ingredients and how much you like pepper. I'm a pepper fanatic. :LOL:

As mentioned - leeks, onions, bell peppers, and things like that are personal preference. If a recipe calls for a certain amount of chopped onion for example, I often add a little more just because I love onion. :)

Here's a guide to pasta measuring that I've had in my faves for quite a while, it might come in handy.

Ounces to Cups: A Guide to Estimating Pasta Yield | The Kitchn

No no no, don't say that, GG. I've always thought of it as "cooking is art, baking is science". I wasn't that great at science, but I'm decent enough at baking. Art was my thing in school, and I shine with my cooking. If I have to consider cooking to be science, I'm in deep trouble. :LOL:

I would automatically assume it's ground.

I wouldn't. In fact, if the recipe just called for 1 teaspoon of red peppercorns, I would leave them whole unless it said that they were to be ground or cracked. It's not uncommon to use whole peppercorns in a marinade or in some stews.

Last edited:
No no no, don't say that, GG. I've always thought of it as "cooking is art, baking is science". I wasn't that great at science, but I'm decent enough at baking. Art was my thing in school, and I shine with my cooking. If I have to consider cooking to be science, I'm in deep trouble. :LOL:

CG - I know you're a fan of the Food Lab ;) Cooking and baking both involve chemistry and physics, but cooking is more forgiving :)

It's not uncommon to use whole peppercorns in a marinade or in some stews.

Well, as you can see in my first post - I did grind them.
Two reasons, First: -they are red peppercorns which are fairly mild and Second:- they pour them over the greens after using it to baste on the kabobs.

I like spicy (I actually even added a tiny pinch of red pepper flakes aka Lydia B) so figured I would get more zing if I ground them and I didn't really want to crunch down on them on while eating.

And yes, marinades often add whole peppercorns but I should have really called this a vinaigrette as I didn't soak the kabobs with them, just brushed it on while cooking.

I always get confused over "the juice of one lemon". How big of a lemon? And what if I don't have one and have to use lemon juice - how many teaspoons is that?

Garlic is another good one. Three garlic cloves. Dude, I only have minced garlic in the fridge - what is that in garlic cloves?

So I just use my best guess. As Chef John said about it once, "That's you, cooking."

LOL - just had a recipe that did that very thing, but from other recipes, may the Egg bless them, I've gotten this...

"It can range on the size of the lemon and the time of year.

A medium lemon will give 2-3 Tablespoons of juice, where as larger lemons can give 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons).

You have to decide on much lemon flavor you want in your recipe as to which number you pick."

Another reason I prefer cooking to baking! Not as much math involved either, at least in my dishes. Cooking may be an art as well as a science, but at least for me it's not an exact science. I just keep tasting until I like the dish.

By science, I meant the way foods change in texture and flavor with different types of cooking, pickling, fermenting, etc. Combining and adjusting ingredients is the art part.

Last edited:
I always get confused over "the juice of one lemon". How big of a lemon? And what if I don't have one and have to use lemon juice - how many teaspoons is that?

Garlic is another good one. Three garlic cloves. Dude, I only have minced garlic in the fridge - what is that in garlic cloves?

So I just use my best guess. As Chef John said about it once, "That's you, cooking."

A couple of general rules to use are three tablespoons of lemon juice per lemon and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic per clove. Then adjust to taste.

That's good to know, GG. I think I've been under-lemoning things if I go by that, so I will adjust accordingly.

When I had my lemon tree, it was 'three lemons make enough juice for a glass of lemonade'.

Back
Top Bottom