Meisenplace? mesonpas? Huh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jharris

Sous Chef
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but already so glad I found you.

My " nephew-in-law" recently graduated from culinary school and during one conversation we had he mentioned a meisenplace (sp?) board.

From his general description I understand that this is an item used by chefs that somewhat resembles a cutting board with additional features that aid in organizing pre-measured spices and ingredients prior to beginning the cooking process.

I'm a woodworker by trade and would like to make him one of these as a belated graduation gift.

It's important to me that this gift has all the features needed by a chef.

I have tried the internet with no success at all. This is probably due to not knowing the actual spelling.

I have a beautiful piece of 4/4 teak just crying out to be transformed into something.

Any help you can give me in the way of internet links, photos and suggestions regarding the most useful features I might incorporate into this project would be greatly appreciated.

Heeeelp!

Mis en Place is not a thing. You cant make one.

It means to put things in their proper place and refers to the practice of chefs and many home cooks of prepping their kitchens and assembling everything they'll need adhead of service. Putting prepped ingredients in individual containers, assembling needed utensils, arranging cutting boards, towels, etc. making sure everything is in its proper place and order, ready to go before you start cooking.

I am not familiar with the board you are describing.

Whatever is used in your mis en place needs to be scrubbed after service so generally you use stainless steel bowls, pans and sheets.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I think you are referring to mise en place, French for "everything in place". It refers to the advance prep, food, and utensils so a cook can make a recipe, etc. without having to stop what they're doing and chop something. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise_en_place

I'm sure you could make something really cool, like a kitchen tool box, knife holder, utensil holder combo. I'm not sure you want to use such a beautiful piece of wood for a cutting board, though teak is commonly used for cutting boards. You could turn a beautiful bowl or a set of bowls, salt cellars, spice rack, spice bottles.

Good luck, and what a nice thing to do!

Last edited:
My " nephew-in-law" recently graduated from culinary school and during one conversation we had he mentioned a meisenplace (sp?) board.
Could your nephew be referring to something like this?

778320_0_3-2150-contemporary-knives-and-chopping-boards.jpg

Personally, I just use a bunch of ramekins and lay them all out next to the cutting board.

Steve Kroll said:
Could your nephew be referring to something like this?

Personally, I just use a bunch of ramekins and lay them all out next to the cutting board.

That's kinda what I was thinking too, Steve.

Mis en place. Everything in its place.

The board could have many configurations depending on the type of cooking one does and the number of people they're cooking for.

If you've ever watched a cooking show, you see the TV chef has each of the ingredients prepped in a small glass bowl or similar.

As far as a board is concerned, you could make a large board with a series of 'mini bowls' cut into the surface at the edge of the board that replace the glass bowls. Or cut openings into a board to hold removable inserts.

Another idea is to make several separate wood racks that hold bowls, perhaps of different sizes. That would allow some flexibility and portability

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 283
Bed bath and beyond sells those little bowls you see on cooking shows. I just use what ever size bows I need or small plates. It is best to organzie and chop up everything and have ready and close at hand, Be Organized!! before one starts to cook. Just make your nephew a quality cutting board.

A large cutting board would be ideal; 24"x18" range. That's about the size of mine and I can do most of my mise en place on it, moving them into different areas, without dirtying up extra dishes.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies, suggestions, source for the small stainless bowls and for correcting me that this is a method of cooking not a thing.

The box idea is a good one but he lives in Georgia so I don't have access to his tools etc. In order to design something compartmentalized.

Funny thing is, I use this method in my shop. I use an empty bench to lay out what I'll need for whatever operations I plan to perform.

I want to make this a special gift so although I thought about making another cutting board I like the idea of routing holes sized for stainless bowls so they don't slide off if the board needs to be moved.

I'm going to use the teak.

The size will be 22" (24" std. countertop depth minus backsplash) x 18-24".

My other nephew works at BB&B so I'll go online, figure out what I want and get it at discount.

After fine sanding I plan to rub mineral oil in it to protect it. Yes?

I'll post pics later.

Again, thank you and God bless

Last edited:
I can't wait to see how it turns out. What a great Uncle you are!! :)

Food grade mineral oil. You can find it in the laxative section of the local drug store. Don't waste your money on expensive "cutting board oil". You can google the procedure for applying and wiping off the oil.

Andy M. said:
Food grade mineral oil. You can find it in the laxative section of the local drug store. Don't waste your money on expensive "cutting board oil". You can google the procedure for applying and wiping off the oil.

Thank you.

Omg!! I would love a big cutting board with bowl holes like that!! Make him one and post a pic

I'll be sure to post pics.

Unfortunately my visit to BB@B to find small stainless cups/ bowls and trays was fruitless.

I'll have to visit the store or find an online source.

Just a quick update for those interested.

Cut 3/4" x 3" x 31" hard maple stock today and its ready for glue up.

Couldn't use the teak stock as it was too small for the size of board I want to make. 18"x30".

I ordered the pinch bowls today.

Won't bore you with the details but I will post a photo when complete.

jharris said:
Just a quick update for those interested.

Cut 3/4" x 3" x 31" hard maple stock today and its ready for glue up.

Couldn't use the teak stock as it was too small for the size of board I want to make. 18"x30".

I ordered the pinch bowls today.

Won't bore you with the details but I will post a photo when complete.

Would love to see the pics!

Back
Top Bottom