Melted Chocolate - how to harden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elitecodex

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone... I have a question. I have tried twice now making chocolate covered pretzels. I used a double boiler and semi-sweet chocolate chips (one time I used a little bit of shortening, thats the only difference). Both times I let them cool in the refrigerator for about 30 min.

My problem is that no matter how long they sit in the frig, when I pick them up I get chocolate all over my hands. I would prefer to have it where the chocolate does not do that... how can I do that? Do I need to use a different type of chocolate? Do I need to use a different technique? Is it even possible with homemade chocolate covered pretzels?

Thanks!

first, adding shortening will guarantee that it'll melt all over your fingers. a llittle shortening is used to create a really thin coat of chocolate, typically on cookies, and a section is left uncoated.

chocolate chips contain extra ingredients to help them preserve their shape while being baked. and i've had chocolate chips remain soft after being baked for an incredibly long time. try using regular chocolate bars of good quality. they should firm up. if you don't want to go through the hassle of tempering the chocolate, just melt it over hot water and use. it'll come out looking kind of streaky, but will taste fine. and it'll still melt at a lower temp than if it were tempered.

if you're still not satisfied, get some chocolate couverture and:

YouTube - Tempering Chocolate
i'm prettysure that these are not actually regular chocolate chips, but chips of regular chocolate, if you follow me.

YouTube - Tempering & Storing Chocolate
a better detailed description

YouTube - Tour of Jacques Torres' Chocolate Haven
yum yum

Chocolate Tempering - How to Temper Chocolate

it's easier to do a larger quantity than just a handful.

finally, you'll have to clean the whole house from top to bottom and do some yardwork just to burn off some of those calories

;)

Back
Top Bottom