Metric or Standard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pembroke

Assistant Cook
I spent 15 years cooking in the US before moving to England. In America I cooked in Fahrenheit and measured in cups and ounces. In England I had to cook in Celsius and measure in kilos and litres! At first it was like relearning how to cook, very frustrating! Tens years later and I am a Metric Chef; how I ever cooked and measured without metric is one of lifes great mysteries! What do you prefer?:chef:

I prefer standard, am O.K. when using metric.
By the way, I play in a string quartet called the Pembroke Quartet! Welcome to DC!

Thanks for the warm welcome, Pembroke is the name of the College in Cambridge where I work. The College was founded in 1347 but fortunately has had a kitchen refurb since:)

Metric is certainly easier to deal with, easier to re-size recipes, etc.

I wish we had changed over a couple of decades ago rather than changing our minds and staying with the English system.

I can use metric if I have to and do approximate conversions in my head, but old habits die hard, so I prefer standard.

I use both, but prefer metric. If I am going by a recipe in imperial measures I either use them or convert in my head, but if I am making my own recipe I always use metric and prefer weight to volume for my dry ingredients. I don't really think about it, I just go with whatever so I guess you could call me bilingual in measurements! :angel:

Laurie you are so Canadian...bilingual to the core. Me too though. (This is the second post in as many minutes where I'm typing "ditto" to Laurie. I'll just add my name to your profile girl since we think so alike!)

I use and am more comfortable with standard because that is what is used in the US, but I really wish we switched over to metric. Metric just makes much more sense.

I am more comfortable using standard because that is what I have used my entire life.

Laurie you are so Canadian...bilingual to the core. Me too though. (This is the second post in as many minutes where I'm typing "ditto" to Laurie. I'll just add my name to your profile girl since we think so alike!)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I just saw this Alix and now I am going to have to go looking for the other one! Why don't we just make one new profile AlixBeier and people can guess which one of it is using it at any given time! :LOL:

I was in grade 7 when Canada was switching to Metric, so I learned both during my formative years. I am comfortable with either as far as dry and wet measure is concerned, but oven temperatures were not a common theme in grade 7, so I stick with Fahrenheit for temps.

But if hours and minutes ever get switched to metric, I'll be in big trouble.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom