"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Microwave for reheating of meats

The problem is reheating of prev cooked meats. In particular ground beef. Due to a health problem, I cannot eat the fast food hamburgers due to the high fat content. So my wife buys the leanest ground beef she can find and gas grilles same for me. This way I can still have a favorite food on occassion. She always cooks more then we can eat at one setting. Thus the problem. Reheating them in the Micro or reg oven results in dry and sometimes tough meat. Surely there is a way to do this task better. Suggestions and comment appreciated.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Have you tried placing the hamburger patty in a bowl, adding a little water or beef stock, wrapping the bowl with plastic wrap, then reheating?

Old 01-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I steam my Pastrami to make hot Pastrami sandwiches. Maybe you could use a steamer?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Try microwaving for less time. If you over do it in the microwave, you get dry tough meat.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

We wrap them in foil with a few drops of water, and reheat in the oven at 350. They are just as good the second night.

The microwave is just not that good for certain things.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
Master Chef

As everyone has noted - the key is to "steam" the meat (steaming prevents the meat from drying out even more during reheating).

If you want to use the microwave (no reason not to) - wrap a "thawed in the refrigerator" meat patty in a wet paper towel. If you want to heat a frozen one - again wrap it in a wet paper towel and use the microwave's "defrost" function - then "nuke" it on high for about 30-secs.

Or - in a pot using a steamer basket - steam it until it's hot.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Reheating meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuds4evr
The problem is reheating of prev cooked meats. In particular ground beef. Due to a health problem, I cannot eat the fast food hamburgers due to the high fat content. So my wife buys the leanest ground beef she can find and gas grilles same for me. This way I can still have a favorite food on occassion. She always cooks more then we can eat at one setting. Thus the problem. Reheating them in the Micro or reg oven results in dry and sometimes tough meat. Surely there is a way to do this task better. Suggestions and comment appreciated.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&7

I prefer to use my toaster oven to reheat meat items.
The microwave will make them tough and dry.
Just this AM, I reheated a left over sausage patty and toasted my biscuit in the toaster oven. Fried an egg and had my "Egg and Sausage McBiscuit"

Charlie
Old 02-18-2006, 06:11 AM   #8
Head Chef

Thuds4evr, I agree with the fine advice posted, just tossing meat into the nuker can take a rare piece of meat to well done in seconds.

But if you like ground beef, why not grind your own?

You can buy a fairly inexpensive piece of beef, on sale as we do, and grind it yourself.

Usuallly choose chuck or round, prefer chuck.

We have used several types of grinders, but often just use the Cuisinart (need to be a bit careful with the food processor though, it is easy to over process it).

The 'old fashioned' hand cranked grinders are cheap and work just fine.

The advantages are that is that you get freshly ground beef, and there is a difference in the flavor of the product over the plastic packaged stuff, but you can also adjust the amount of fat in the burger.

You need some fat to hold the burger together and give it taste.

We just eyeball the amount of fat we let into the grinder.

We almost always eschew the store bought chopped meat and make our own.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
Head Chef

Place burgers on plate,cover with plastic wrap and reheat for a min or 2 in micro. they are always moist.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I'm not sure if this will work in all microwaves, but I found that I can heat something up gently using my defrost cycle. It seems to heat things much more gently than the other cycles. I set an amount of time and then repeat as needed until it's the desired temperature. This way it warms the item up a lot more gently. I do this when I'm trying to warm something up and don't really want it to cook any further.

« Broasted? | Wok Oil »