"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I only use it to heat foods like a quick snack or leftovers or maybe to heat a casserole I made ahead of time or to melt chocolate.I use the defrost function if I have ground meat that I forgot to thaw out.Thats about it.Sometimes microwave popcorn but I like popcorn made fresh on the stove better.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

A lot of pros swear that you cannot melt cheese in preparation for fondue in the microwave, it has to be in a double boiler. Ditto other ingredients that have to be melted in prep work. Well, my fondue works every time, with no separation problems. I often use it to melt cheese or even just soften cheese. You DO have to pay attention to it (there is no formula, microwaves vary A LOT in power), you can't stick it in there and ignore it. But you can't throw it in to a double boiler and ignore it either. And this takes a lot less.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
Head Chef

I generally use mine for re-heating and defrosting but the bagged pop corn is good. I like the quick-start idea as well. Also frozen veggies do well in the microwave.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I also use it for making boxed rice mixes, but I've never tried doing regular rice. I'd really like to have your directions for that, GotGarlic.
Sorry, Constance, I just saw this.

Microwaved Rice

1 cup rice
1 3/4 cups liquid (water, or I use chicken broth)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. fresh or 1 tsp. dried herbs to go with whatever is in the main dish
Any other additions you would like: citrus zest, onions or onion powder, garlic or garlic powder, etc.

In a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl or pot, add rice, liquid, salt, and other additions. Cook on high for 7 minutes, stir, then cook on high for 8 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes; fluff with fork and serve.

Enjoy
Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
Sous Chef

White sauce: melt butter, add flour, add cold milk, put back in microwave and stir every minute or so until thick
Oats Porridge when you're in a hurry: 1/2 cup raw oats in a deeper than usual bowl, pinch salt, cover with water, microwave for at least 2 minutes, stirring now and then
Scrambled eggs: 2 eggs, water, milk or cream, salt/pepper, dollop of butter, whisk, cook for a minute, wisk again, cook for a minute or less
Sunny side up eggs: egg in a teacup (you can "butter" the teacup), or put some water in it. If the egg is large and really cold, about 35-40 seconds. Less if the egg is room temp.
Rice (I know there is a recipe here already) - 1 cup raw rice, 2 cups water, salt in 2qt dish. Cook for 15 minutes on high. Check - if dry, add a bit more water and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
Fish Dish: In Corning Ware dish - 1/4 cup olive oil (or a bit less), cut up 1 onion into cubes, 2 tomatoes cubed and a punnet of mushrooms, sliced. Melt the butter (a few seconds) add the onion, cook for a minute or so until soft, add 1 heaped tbsp flour, salt/pepper thyme, a bit of mustard (hot), 2 tblsp. Worcestershire Sauce, a little bit of dried or fresh thyme & add the mushrooms & tomatoes. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add 2 or 3 pieces of tilapia fillet. Cover and cook for about 8 minutes.
Obviously, veggies, which I think everyone here mentioned - especially when you run out of stovetop space!
I've made cakes - mostly for use in a trifle, but in a pinch, I "iced" the cakes with whipped cream and strawberries.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
Head Chef

Claire, I love my microwave, & not ashamed to admit it. When they first came out, eons ago, I had a huge clunky thing that sat on my counter. (It's in my storeage area now.) I tried so many dishes - even lasagna & yes it turned out well. I have a built-in now, that came with. I use it for lots of things. Rather than boil veggies, imo they come out less soggy when prepped in the nuker, i.e. corn and butter wrapped in wax paper (not saran wrap or plastic). I also prep spaghetti squash in the MW.Like any cooking utensil/apparatus, I think one needs to know how to use it to its full advantage. I still have my original recipe book that came with, and there are some pretty good recipes I should go back and take a look at. Anything with a hard surface i.e. artichokes, I think would be a time saver prepped in the MW - rather than boiling away all the goodness/vitamins.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 AM   #17
Cook

I use my microwave when defrosting, re-heating, melting cheese on something or making popcorn. Sometimes, for soup requiring potatoes, once they're washed, peeled, eyes removed and diced, I toss them into a microwavable dish with some water and cover it with a glass lid. Then, once done, I toss it with the soup. I have an electric stove so this just makes it faster. If I'm in a hurry, I microwave various veggies then fry them up so they're nice and tender, although I'd much rather steam them.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvllagical_llkook
If I'm in a hurry, I microwave various veggies then fry them up so they're nice and tender, although I'd much rather steam them.
Why not just cook them in the microwave till they're done? Put them in a mw-safe dish with a few tbsp of water, cover and cook till done. They're steamed
Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #19
Cook

I used to use it a lot more often, but just recently I gave it up. I use it rarely if ever. Don't get me wrong, I use it for emergencies, but I prefer to warm my left-overs up on the stove. I'm just not sold on what that microwave is doing to my food.

I was never a huge user of it, so if they took mine out of my home, I could easily survive.

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I learned how to make the most use of my microwave when we were building the house and didn't have a stove for 6 months.
I use it for baking potatoes, which I use many ways besides the usual.
We did that, too, when we were renovating the kitchen. It was only for about 2 months but everything we ate came from the microwave or a slow cooker or the local pizza joint. I was surprised at how well we managed to eat although I sure did miss baked things. The day we installed the "new" stove, I spent the rest of the day baking bread, cake, brownies and cookies. We definitely got our carbs that day!