Molecular Gastronomy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Molecular Gastronomy, has anyone here tried it at home? I would love hear about peoples experiance with this cooking style. I am thinking of making pearls or caviar from diffrent vegetables. Any suggestions on where to pick up the chemicals? I anone knows somewhere in the chicago area I can get them so I don't have to pay shipping.

Given this excerpt from Ferran Adria, Heston Blumenthal, Thomas Keller and Harold McGee, Statement on the 'new cookery' :

The fashionable term "molecular gastronomy" was introduced relatively recently, in 1992, to name a particular academic workshop for scientists and chefs on the basic food chemistry of traditional dishes. That workshop did not influence our approach, and the term "molecular gastronomy" does not describe our cooking, or indeed any style of cooking.

What chemicals are you looking for? I know these guys are using ingredients not readily available outside of the large-scale food industry, but things like liquid nitrogen, CO2, etc. should be simple enough to find in the phone book.

I was going to start with Sodium Alginate and calcium chloride to try and make some 'caviar'. Has anyone done this before?

I am thinking I am going to try some spherification next week. Has anyone done this before, that can provide some tips?

thanks anyone know where to get the chemicals for spherification locally in the chicago area instead of ordering online?

I've been reading a lot about spherification lately. I'd really like to try it sometime.

Please let us know how it works out for you. Pics would be great!

Back
Top Bottom