Natural cocoa vs. Dutch process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Natural cocoa vs. Dutch process
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
102605choc.jpg
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

If you've ever made a baked chocolate dessert with less-than-spectacular results, your cocoa may be to blame. Dutch-process and natural cocoas, although both are unsweetened, are not interchangeable.
Dutch-process cocoa has had alkali added to neutralize its acids; that means it does not react with baking soda. Use it in recipes calling for baking powder, unless there are enough other acidic ingredients to leaven your cake. Some examples of Dutch-process cocoa are Droste, Valrhona and Pernigotti. Most chocolate goods that have a reddish tinge are baked with Dutch-process cocoa.
Natural unsweetened cocoa powder is more acidic and reacts with recipes that also call for baking soda (an alkali). That leavens the baked goods when they hit the heat of the oven. Popular brands include Hershey's, Ghirardelli and Scharffen Berger. Your cocoa should say if it is Dutch-process on the label.

Good topic Raine :) I have to watch out for excess acid in the foods I eat due to a medical problem and learnt about the differences in cocoa that way. I like both types personally in my expereince Dutch makes great brownies and cookies and natural makes excellent cakes. (But sometimes I just use carob powder instead of either :))

mudbug said:
I just bought eight boxes of Droste to give to fellow office workers for Christmas.
What a neat present Mudbug, I'm sure they'll love it. It's hard to go wrong with any sort of chocolate gift :chef:

Thanks, Piccolina. I don't know them all well enough to get something more individual for each of them, so I thought this safest. I DID buy my fellow editor something different, but I know him better.

Last Sunday, I ordered 10 cans of Ghiradelli hot chocolate mix for Christmas gifts, and payed extra shipping so it would get here in 1-4 shipping days. That doesn't do a bloomin' bit of good when they don't ship it until 4 days later. I needed it for a party last night, but I still haven't gotten it. :mad:

The half pints of schnapps, chocolate dipped candy canes and marshmallows, and cocoa mugs are still sitting here waiting. Grrrrrr!

Last edited:
I get my Dutch Process from Penzeys. I like it, but haven't had any other brand, so I have no basis for comparison.

Constance said:
The half pints of schnapps, chocolate dipped candy canes and marshmallows, and cocoa mugs are still sitting here waiting. Grrrrrr!

With all that, I wouldn't even notice that there wasn't any cocoa!! :angel:

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom