"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 06-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I always add a little water because I was told to. Never knew why though. Thankds
I always add milk, rather than water. It adds a little more body to the egg than does water. Or maybe, I just have a love a milk and am prejudiced toward using it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #32
Sous Chef

The fattiness of milk will definitely add body to the eggs.
As long as what's added has enough water to steam up and give the omelette fluffiness.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #33
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

One more method to cook - perfect fluffy omelette (no flipping):

Make omelette as Jacques Pepin did in the earlier video. Follow the basic instruction for he country omelette but DO NOT allow butter to brown.

As the omelette begins to come together, lift one edge of the egg just a little and pour a little water (maybe 1 TBL) in the pan. Immediately clap on a well fitting lid. IN a hot pan, that water will quickly create steam, cooking the top of the omelet and puffing up the egg. This process only takes a minute or so. Add any toppings and roll eggs out of the pan.

The steam has the added benefit of lifting the omelet away from the pan so that it will slide very easily.

The goal here is to avoid browning the eggs which fundamentally changes the flavor and texture and to allow the top to cook more completely.

You need fairly high heat to make fluffy eggs, as the heat expands the air and water in the eggs and gives that puff. The steaming process reduces the amount of time the eggs need to stay in the pan. Using the "added water method" results in a faster cook time - less time in the pan, but fully cooked eggs. If you like them a little runny just take the lid off sooner ;)
Old 06-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I make my omelet the same way as No Mayo. It only takes a minute under the broiler and puffs up beautifully. No flipping necessary.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
omelet