Need Help Flipping Omelette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
The cooks at Waffle House never fail to serve me a fluffy omelette.

While I figure there are some secret ingredients in the mix to help my breakfast be so tasty, YouTube tells me the fluffiness is due to them whipping alot of air into the eggs, and then flipping the mixture with one deft wrist motion before the air bubbles deflate.

I have a mixer to whip air into the eggs. The other part requirement involves a skill I do not have.

It is now time for me to learn how to flip food in a skillet. To that end, Kim bought me two new, lighter omellete pans which may be easier to work with than my existing, ceramic-coated, cast-iron pan.

Any hints or tips for FLIPPING FOOD in a pan with a deft wrist motion?

Is there a "practice" substance, or do I just need to break alot of eggs to figure out how to make a good omellete?

Thanks,
Tom

img_1368738_0_c65ac8d096020d429695f40e07d5240b.jpg

I would look up Jacques Pepin demonstrating how he does omelettes. There is no flipping involved. It is a technique that is very easy to learn. Alton Brown also has a great video on the subject.;)

I'm not a flipper either. Actually I bounce the pan on the grate several times after pouring the egg mixture in to break any air pockets. I'm not familiar with fluffy omelettes.

Okay, I acknowledge everyone's preference.

But can anyone advise me on how to flip food in a skillet since I want to learn the skill & judge for myself?

Thanks,
Tom

I'm too uncoordinated to flip, but the lady who cooks our omelets on vacation flips beautifully, and cooks 'em fluffy. Quick wrist action, and she doesn't miss. Seems to me there was a recent Good Eats episode with Alton Brown that showed some flipping. You Tube would probably show some good techniques. Practice I guess, you know, you have to break a few eggs...

Last edited:
The cooks at Waffle House never fail to serve me a fluffy omelette.

While I figure there are some secret ingredients in the mix to help my breakfast be so tasty, YouTube tells me the fluffiness is due to them whipping alot of air into the eggs, and then flipping the mixture with one deft wrist motion before the air bubbles deflate.

I have a mixer to whip air into the eggs. The other part requirement involves a skill I do not have.

It is now time for me to learn how to flip food in a skillet. To that end, Kim bought me two new, lighter omellete pans which may be easier to work with than my existing, ceramic-coated, cast-iron pan.

Any hints or tips for FLIPPING FOOD in a pan with a deft wrist motion?

Is there a "practice" substance, or do I just need to break alot of eggs to figure out how to make a good omellete?

Thanks,
Tom

img_1368760_0_c65ac8d096020d429695f40e07d5240b.jpg
By "flipping" do you mean folding it for serving? I fold mine by sliding the omelette half way onto the plate then manoeuvering the pan so it folds the omelette over for me. (Sorry, not a very lucid description!)

As for "fluffy", if you want them very fluffy you can make what my very old cookery book calls a "souffle omelette" by separating the eggs and whipping the whites into not quite meringue and folding them into the rest of the egg mixture.It makes an omelette like a cloud! Mostly I do this for sweet omelettes to serve with jam but there's no reason why you couldn't make a savoury one.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Tom, now you have what you need to make great fluffy omelets AND to flip food in a skillet.

FWIW, the only time I flip eggs is for over easy eggs. So now all you need to do is practice. BTW, it's harder with a straight-sided pan.

I've read all kinds of directions and watched more than a couple omelet videos. If it has anything to do with cooking an egg, for some reason I can't get it (except for hard boiled eggs). If there is a need for omelets at home, we use the scout method of boiling them in a bag. Then if it needs a bit of browning into a buttered pan it goes. Other than that, I'm happy we have an Omelet House nearby where an expert works.

I don't know about Waffle House but I do know that IHOP adds pancake batter to their eggs for their omelets. I don't do the flip either. I fold in the pan then slide onto the plate.

That Chef John video is a good one, even if it's with non food cheese balls. lol His video's are always top notch.

A lot of people get all excited about flipping food until they have to clean up the mess, and I'm just not willing to practice with real food. It always looks so cool though I might have to try again.

The Pirate can flip with the best chefs. He can even flip a fried egg without breaking the yolk. He makes it a point to call it to my attention every time he does it. I have done it a few times. I know how to use my wrist, but I don't have enough confidence in myself to do it all the time. I will do it if I am making fried hash browns for sautéed potatoes. You have to flip it up and pull your hand back all at the same time, but only for a micro second. Pull you hand back too far and the food ends up on the stove and not back into the pan. I can see it in my minds eye, but am having trouble explaining it. :angel:

I've read all kinds of directions and watched more than a couple omelet videos. If it has anything to do with cooking an egg, for some reason I can't get it (except for hard boiled eggs). If there is a need for omelets at home, we use the scout method of boiling them in a bag. Then if it needs a bit of browning into a buttered pan it goes. Other than that, I'm happy we have an Omelet House nearby where an expert works.

Boil-in-the-bag omelettes? The mind boggles!

Back
Top Bottom