Need help with cream sauce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremycfd

Assistant Cook
So I happen to be a big fan of rich cream sauces for pasta. I've been experimenting for the last few weeks, and while I can make an okay sauce it just never gets as rich and as thick as what I have at restaurants. Can anyone please take a look at what I generally do and give me some suggestions? I'd prefer to avoid adding cheese to it because I try not to eat cheese.

I usually start by cooking chopped shallots in EVOO until they start to soften. I then use my garlic press on a couple of cloves of garlic and add that to the mix. After that cooks a little (with some sea salt and black pepper), I add a splash of white wine and let the alcohol cook out. Then I add whipping cream. I sometimes put a little corn starch in the mix to try to thicken it up some, but it doesn't seem to help very much. And of course I often add other ingredients for flavor, like chopped capers or dried tarragon.

In the end, it tastes so-so but is definitely not restaurant-quality. It is too soupy and not rich enough. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Welcome to DC, Jeremy.

To thicken a cream sauce, you have to simmer it to reduce the cream.

Also, after adding the wine, you can cook that down so there is parctically no liquid left before adding the cream.

You might try thickening with flour. Right before you start adding the cream, take about a tablespoon or two of flour and add to the shallots. Stir a couple of minutes and start whisking in the cream a little at a time. For more information on this, look up bechamel sauce on the web and you'll see how to make the basic sauce and you can use this as the basis for your shallot and garlic sauce. Bechamel is known as a "mother" sauce since many sauces are based on its basic type, i.e. based on a roux with the addition of cream.
Hope this helps,
John

Welcome to DC, Jeremy! :)

If you reduce the wine to a syrup, and then reduce your cream, you should be able to make a dynamite cream sauce without the assistance of any thickeners. Be patient, and turn the heat down once you've added the cream so it doesn't scorch, and stir frequently.

Adding some of your grated cheese to the sauce will help thicken it, also.

Also, most restaurants use heavy whipping cream which has a higher fat content and reduces to a thicker consistency much faster than standard whipping cream. However, just slowly reduce the cream as others have said and you should get a thicker sauce. I wouldn't recommend adding a roux or any other flour based thickener as it will alter the flavor of the sauce.

Also, most restaurants use heavy whipping cream which has a higher fat content and reduces to a thicker consistency much faster than standard whipping cream. However, just slowly reduce the cream as others have said and you should get a thicker sauce. I wouldn't recommend adding a roux or any other flour based thickener as it will alter the flavor of the sauce.

Yes, no need to add anything other than the heavy cream itself.

You can also add the pasta to the reducing sauce so they can get to know one another before reaching your plate.

For me, it depends on what kind of sauce I'm making. Some sauces require a roux made fom equal amounts of flour and fat, heated until the flour is bubbling. Then salt and cream are added until the desired consistancy is reached. you have to add the liquid slowly while whisking vigorously to ensure a smooth consistancy. Also, do not let the sauce boil as the protiens will tend to coagulate and "break" the sauce, especially if you are adding cheese or dairy products.

If you want a beautiful Alfredo or Mornay sauce, heat the cream and allow it to thicken by evaporation to the desired consistancy before adding the cheese. Also, again, do not let the sauce boil, even a little.

For creamy puddings and custards, the same holds true. For rich custard, use only milk, cream, and egg yolks. Beat the yolks until smooth and creamy, and add the sugar and flavorings to them. Pour a bit of the hot liquid into the yolks, stirring rapidly with a whisk. Then add the tempered yolk to the remaining liquid according to your recipe, stirring vigorously with a whisk until it thikens properly. Again, do not let it boil.

And yes, butter adds a rich flavor. After all, it is pure milk fat and a bit of salt. It's the cream with all of the water removed.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

And yes, butter adds a rich flavor. After all, it is pure milk fat and a bit of salt. It's the cream with all of the water removed.

Hi Goodweed,
Butter contains water - 15-18% as you will realise if you try to clarify some.

Welcome to DC, Jeremy! :)

If you reduce the wine to a syrup, and then reduce your cream, you should be able to make a dynamite cream sauce without the assistance of any thickeners. Be patient, and turn the heat down once you've added the cream so it doesn't scorch, and stir frequently.

Adding some of your grated cheese to the sauce will help thicken it, also.

How do you go about reducing wine to a syrup?

Irish butter contains about 1/3 the water of American butter. Get sweet (unsalted) Irish butter for sauces. And use a double boiler to prevent overheating sauces. I use a stainless whisking bowl in a sauce pan. Water in pan, sauce in bowl.

Where do you find Irish butter? I have seen French, Amish, and good ole Dairyland butter ... but not Irish butter. I'm doing good around here to find the unsalted without an upcharge!

I'm in Southern California...we have Trader Joe's. But we also have Irish butter (KerryGold) in Safeway. And European butter, such as plugra (from TJ's), is much lower moisture content than American, and much richer in flavor.

Last edited:
Sorry to pick nits, but Plugra is an American butter. It's European style according to the package, but it's American made. This is a good thing - it's much cheaper than the imported butters. I use it in all my baking.

Correct. Perhaps I should have said European type butter. And it is cheaper...affordable. Better on toasted sourdough, too. I haven't tried it with nits.

Hi Goodweed,
Butter contains water - 15-18% as you will realise if you try to clarify some.

:blush: I knew that. I have clarified butter many times. I was just visualizing the time when I made butter with my kids by shaking around a jar of cream until the butterfat seperated from the whey. We then rinsed the butter to remove the remaining whey and mixed in a bit of salt. But yes, when you place butter in a hot pan, it sizzles as the watter escapes from the fat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom